Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Moving on up...from beginner to intermediate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #11
Epimetheus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Congrats on the new kit! Sounds like you are all set for great things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
drop in a paint strainet bag and dump in your 12 pounds of mixed crushed grains
I am also a newbie, have done only 3 BIAB, and read much about it. A 5 gallon paint strainer bag may be too small for 12 lbs. You can do it and it will be beer. I used a 5 gal strainer on a 6 lb grain bill. The grain was packed tightly and the efficiency suffered. (My first batch. A little low on the ABV, but damn, it smells and tastes wonderful.)

Experienced BIABaggers (I have read) mention the grain should have lots of room to swim around and the bag should be large enough to fit around your kettle. I sewed a larger bag from a voile curtain. You can search the forums for online sources.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #12
jburke1987
Recipes 

hey everyone, i have been using Brewers Best kits for a while, and want to try brewing a light beer from scratch. i normally drink American light (coors light, miller lite, bud light) want to try all grain next.

Trying to stay away from the kits and do this stuff for real. is there anyone that i can chat with around Pittsburgh Area that can help? let me know.

i would like to make another brew in the next month.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 713 Times on 599 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
Congrats on the new kit! Sounds like you are all set for great things.

I am also a newbie, have done only 3 BIAB, and read much about it. A 5 gallon paint strainer bag may be too small for 12 lbs. You can do it and it will be beer. I used a 5 gal strainer on a 6 lb grain bill. The grain was packed tightly and the efficiency suffered. (My first batch. A little low on the ABV, but damn, it smells and tastes wonderful.)

Experienced BIABaggers (I have read) mention the grain should have lots of room to swim around and the bag should be large enough to fit around your kettle. I sewed a larger bag from a voile curtain. You can search the forums for online sources.
You may have accidentally gotten a 3 gallon strainer bag. My 5 gallon bags fit in my turkey fryer (30 qt) and reach nearly to the bottom. Even a 14 pound grain batch comes out looking like a thin porridge when I stir them in.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #14
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quick question...what would you suggest the average grain bill for my new setup would be? I was thinking 10 lbs. Is that too much?

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Primary #1 - Deadringer IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - ???????

Old 12-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #15
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 841 Times on 589 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I would think 10 lbs would be just about right

you could go up to 12 lbs @1¼ qts per gallon strike would be 3¾ gallons and fill 4.87 gallons of your MLT with the grain

follow that link in my first reply for more info on how big a mash tun should be. more information and detailed explanations further into the thread

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 12-28-2012, 02:26 AM   #16
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Since I do not have a "False Bottom" and I am having a hard time finding a large enough bag to put the grains in, will a paint strainer from Lowe's or Menards suffice?

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Primary #1 - Deadringer IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - ???????

Old 12-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #17
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by histo320 View Post
Since I do not have a "False Bottom" and I am having a hard time finding a large enough bag to put the grains in, will a paint strainer from Lowe's or Menards suffice?
2-pack, 5 gallon size

$3 and you be brewin'

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 12-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #18
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Got a 3 gallon pot for Christmas, so I too am looking at extract with specialty biab partial boil. Plan to work on aquiring the gear to go all grain labour day weekend, drinking my first all grain beer Canadian Thanksgiving weekend.

Can anybody hook me up with a thread laying out the steeping specialty grains method?

Don't even break it out if you ain't gonna share.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTownLiquorPig View Post
Can anybody hook me up with a thread laying out the steeping specialty grains method?
it's very very very easy

heat 2 gallons of water, 155° is recommended, but heat your water a couple ° above your target, to account for the temp difference between the water & your grains.

throw in your grains, let them soak for 30 minutes.

pull the bag out and let it drain into your boil kettle (you can squeeze the bag a little).

if you're short on your pre-boil volume, you can heat up the water needed and pour that over the grains in the bag into the boil kettle.

proceed with boil

LTownLiquorPig Likes This 
Old 12-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #20
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
it's very very very easy

heat 2 gallons of water, 155° is recommended, but heat your water a couple ° above your target, to account for the temp difference between the water & your grains.

throw in your grains, let them soak for 30 minutes.

pull the bag out and let it drain into your boil kettle (you can squeeze the bag a little).

if you're short on your pre-boil volume, you can heat up the water needed and pour that over the grains in the bag into the boil kettle.

proceed with boil
Thanks!

I'm not a good searcher. I've been trying different search terms for a week and keep coming up with the same threads that didn't tell me what I wanted to know.

Don't even break it out if you ain't gonna share.

Quick Reply