Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Moving on up...from beginner to intermediate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
histo320
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Moving on up...from beginner to intermediate

As of today I have ordered or have all of the equipment I need to move to Partial Mash.

Today I got an 8 Gal Kettle for full boils, Bayou Burner to brew outside, and a 5 Gallon Cooler w/spigot. I also got some other small supplies Auto Siphon, more tubing, and other essentials (one step and StarSan).

I will eventually move to the BIAB Method and hopefully All Grain in the next year or so. My next brew day will be January 19 and it will be my first in almost 3 years. I am now formulating a recipe for a Zombiedust clone and a typical American Amber.

Trust me, I will be asking many questions over the next month.

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Bottled - HipHOPapotamus IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - Looking for good Brown or Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 447

Congrats! I need to get with the full boil crowd at some point here.

I got a keg with all the connectors, CO2 regulator, and tubing needed. Just gotta get a CO2 tank and I'll be ready to get started kegging. Woot!

Bottled - a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 12-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
histo320
Recipes 

I would like to start kegging at some point but I don't have the money for it yet.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
signpost
Recipes 

Yeah, the keg and stuff was a Christmas gift from my brother. It'll probably be a bit before I can get the CO2 tank and then I need to figure out if I can fit the keg in my mini fridge that I just recently got for free when my mother-in-law's law firm moved to a new office space.

Bottled - a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 12-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 868 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by histo320 View Post
Today I got an 8 Gal Kettle for full boils, Bayou Burner to brew outside, and a 5 Gallon Cooler w/spigot.
= all grain capability

unless I'm missing something or you want to do some big beers, 5 gallon MLT is big enough for 12 lbs of grain @ 1.25 qts/lb. up to 1.059 OG

without the cooler, you would Brew In A Bag, using the kettle for mashing, the bag for lautering. the cooler is used for mashing & lautering, leaving the kettle for heating strike water and the boil.

how big your Mash Tun needs to be

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

signpost Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
signpost
Recipes 

Heh. I didn't look that closely at the equipment he said he had/was getting. Yeah, that's totally an all-grain setup.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

rock on... enjoy your new toys (just like the rest of us)

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
histo320
Recipes 

I will be getting to an All Grain setup at this point but I want to work my way up there by starting with Partial Mash. Part of the reason I bought all of the equipment was so that I can move to All Grain if I wanted to.

As I said it has been 3 years since I have brewed and then I did extract with Specialty grains. I think this Partial Mash method will help me learn the intricacies of the grains so that I can find which ones work best for different types of beers.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by histo320 View Post
I will be getting to an All Grain setup at this point but I want to work my way up there by starting with Partial Mash. Part of the reason I bought all of the equipment was so that I can move to All Grain if I wanted to.

As I said it has been 3 years since I have brewed and then I did extract with Specialty grains. I think this Partial Mash method will help me learn the intricacies of the grains so that I can find which ones work best for different types of beers.
When you do your partial mash, will you have the grains in a bag? If so, how much grain will you have? If you put about 6 1/2 gallons of water in the pot, bring it to about 160 degrees F., drop in a paint strainet bag and dump in your 12 pounds of mixed crushed grains and keep the temperature at about 152 for an hour by insulating the pot, you can remove the bag of grains, squeeze out all the wort, add a teaspoon of DME, bring to a boil and add your hops. It's still a partial mash because you added malt extract.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #10
skullface1818
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

IT does sound like you've got everything you need to do a true all grain batch, not just a partial, as a 7.5-8 gallon kettle is perfectly fine for such a batch

You might have to do a little bit rigging to moddifiy the cooler, but I say that your set!

Good luck!

Quick Reply