Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Moving Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
BMBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Moving Question

So I have a batch thats ready to be packaged but I'm in a tough spot. I'm in the middle of moving so I have two options. Move the beer currently in a secondary) over to the new house or keg and then move. Option one would be the easiest as all my equipment is over at the new place but I'm pretty sure thats not a good idea. If I keg, should I pressurize it (at what PSI?) and then disconnect the lines while I transport? Thanks.

BTW this is both my first batch and first kegging attempt. I plan on getting this into a keg one way or another on Sunday and need it to be somewhat carbed in a week. Is there a good way to make that happen? I know the beer might be a bit green but I will be taking this to the opening NFL tailgate on 9/11 so there is no way around it. Ive been staring at this black IPA for nearly a month now, I can't wait any longer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I believe kegging or bottling is the safest for transporting the beer. Either are true sealed (airtight) environments which will prevent any oxygenation occurring from the beer sloshing around during transport.

Others may disagree, but I believe firmly that transporting already fermented beer in either primary or secondary has an improved risk of oxydation. Having an airlock and headspace in those vessels, sloshing could easily cause the co2 barrier to be breached, if air then gets in you are whipping oxygen into the beer.

So keg it, gas it, and move it confidently knowing that the beer will be safe from oxygenation. You don't hear about commercial breweries transporting their fermented beer in primaries or secondaries do you? No, the don't transport til the beer is in a serving container be it a keg or bottle.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply