Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Moving Primary Downstairs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 02:17 AM   #1
bennyd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Moving Primary Downstairs?

I have a couple of questions that are really going to show my inexperience here. First, I plan to make an area in my basement for storage/fermentation/racking. I will not, however, be able to boil in the basement because I have no stove or ventilation in that area. Will it be a big deal to carry the primary downstairs after the boil and temps are brought down?

I've read that the less sloshing you have, the better. Will it matter if the yeast is not added yet?

Also, what is trub.......and what does IPA stand for?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 74

That is the setup that I use and it works well. I would suggest using Better Bottles because they are much lighter than glass. I also highly recommend using The Brew Hauler for lugging the carboy (either BB or particularly glass). Some use milk crates but I prefer the BH. Actually the sloshing that happens while you are carrying the carboy downstairs (with airlock in place) is not bad in that it mixes the yeast and wort - at least this is my thinking but I may be completely wrong. All of my beers (extract & AG) have turned out great so far. Trub is the gunk that is left at the bottom of the carboy after fermentation and IPA is India Pale Ale. Montanaandy

Old 12-15-2009, 02:27 AM   #3
gtpro
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

your setup shouldnt be a problem, sloshing in primary is actually recommended to aerate the wort for good yeast health.

Trub is the stuff that collects on the bottom of your fermentor, yeast/hops/proteins that settle out of solution.

IPA is India Pale Ale, a style of beer known for higher alc% and lots of hops.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:27 AM   #4
sp1365
Recipes 

You will be fine moving it. The less sloshing is for after fermentation has started. After fermentation has begun you want to keep as much oxygen out of the beer as possible. However, before fermentation begins you want to add oxygen to the wort to aid in yeast growth. So instead of harming the beer, the initial movement downstairs may actually help the beer. Just try to minimize movement after the fermentation has started.

Trub is the sediment that collects either at the bottom of the boil kettle or the primary. The sediment is comprised of hot break, cold break, hops, etc.

IPA stands for India Pale Ale, which is a beer style characterized by high levels of hop bitterness and aroma.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:39 AM   #5
bennyd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow. Thanks for the replies. That's good to hear. I thought about the Better Bottles. Are they difficult to clean since using the brush is not recommended? The carboys will not move once downstairs. I'll have my area set up and that will strictly be for my new hobby

Old 12-15-2009, 02:44 AM   #6
sp1365
Recipes 

Better Bottles are very easy to clean. I have 3 (one 5 gallon and two 3 gallon) and all I do to clean them is water and Oxyclean. Let it sit overnight and rinse. No scrubbing or hard work at all. Quite possibly the best investment I made in the hobby since I move my stuff around so much brewing in an apartment.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:47 AM   #7
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyd View Post
Wow. Thanks for the replies. That's good to hear. I thought about the Better Bottles. Are they difficult to clean since using the brush is not recommended? The carboys will not move once downstairs. I'll have my area set up and that will strictly be for my new hobby
Check threads for PBW and/or Oxiclean for cleaning carboys. Using either of those two chemicals, all you have to do is fill the carboy and let it soak. Rinse and sanitize with StarSan and you will be good to go.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:49 AM   #8
jackson_d
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyd View Post
I thought about the Better Bottles. Are they difficult to clean since using the brush is not recommended? The carboys will not move once downstairs. I'll have my area set up and that will strictly be for my new hobby
Do not ferment in Better Bottles. Ferment in plastic buckets. Much easier to clean, they come with handles, and they are much easier to open up and sample and siphon out of. Also they cost about half as much. Use the Better bottles for secondary. But first- search this site for Secondary vs No Secondary. You will find pages of heated discussion about if secondary is even necessary..

Anways- welcome to the obsession, it will soon dominate your life...

Fermenting: 12g Elevated Line California Lager
Kegged: Elevated Line Toast IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Elevated Line Blonde, Elevated Line Christmas Molasses Porter
On Deck: Death by Dunkel, Mango Lambic?, Barleywine, Wheat, Cali Lager, Pilsner, Honey Porter, etc., etc...

Old 12-15-2009, 03:06 AM   #9
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 74

"Do not ferment in Better Bottles. Ferment in plastic buckets" Have to disagree with you on this one except for the part about cost altough a non-ported BB is not that expensive. I primary in 6 gal BB's and secondary in 5 gal BB's when necessary/I choose to. The BB's are simple to clean as mentioned in the other posts and you can keep an eye on things easily in a BB versus the bucket. Use #10 stopper and airlock with the BB and you can also configure the inner portion of the airlock with a blow off tube very easily. Sampling in the BB for gravity readings is simple using a turkey baster. Montanaandy

Old 12-15-2009, 03:12 AM   #10
bennyd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you guys. This all sounds like good advice. I'm sure that I'll figure it out as experience comes and I'm sure there will be a few times where I'll need to chalk a mistake up to being a "learning opportunity."

Not too often though.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply