The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Moving the primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
cfos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Moving the primary

Hi. Currently brewing my first batch. This morning the air-lock was bubbling; however, I had to move it (out of the way) of some cabinets. After moving it, it seemed that the bubbling stopped. I didn't notice any action for about 1 or 2 minutes, but have since had to go to work so I'm not sure if it has picked up again. It had been bubbling overnight for several hours and am curious if I (temporarily?) disrupted fermentation...? Can I expect it to resume?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
mjking77
Recipes 

Your beer is fine. You did not affect the fermentation.

I am assuming that you are fermenting in a bucket. When you moved the bucket, you relieved some of the pressure built up in the headspace of the bucket. Once that pressure rebuilds you will see more activity in the airlock.

Bottle Conditioning: None
Drinking:

Up Next: IPA

Old 02-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I'm sure it's fine. I've disturbed them on occasion...Usually the opposite happens, a slow fermentation suddenly kicks up a notch or two.

Are you usuing a 3 piece airlock? The inner piece may a little dislodged and stuck on a co-2 bubble. Or the stopper, or gasket might be a little dislodged. You can tap it with a finger tip when you get home, and also make sure the whole airlock is seated right.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
cfos
Recipes 

Thanks for the rapid replys. I am doing the primary fermantation in a plastic bucket with a plastic conical airlock. I'm pretty sure it is the three piece. I did check to see if I had pressure and everything appeared air-tight when I depressed the lid.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
daryk77
Recipes 

happens all the time with fermenting in a plastic bucket, some of the pressure is pushed out from the handle pressing against the bucket as well as from depressing the lid. usually builds back up with in seconds to minutes, depending on what stage of fermentation you are in. Just moved one of my plastic buckets today, same thing happened.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Not to worry, everything should be fine. It takes a lot to really mess up your beer.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 02-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
cfos
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog
Not to worry, everything should be fine. It takes a lot to really mess up your beer.
I'm really hoping that's true! I'm looking forward to transfering this batch into a secondary and starting another in the bucket.

Quick Reply