Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Moving day

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
gelatin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Moving day

I'm going to be moving and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience moving fermenters? I'm thinking that taking a break from having an active primary is a good idea since they're going to be agitated quite a bit, and that secondaries (which I don't usually use) would travel better?

I'm also curious about the role of agitation (shaking, swirling) on fermenters in general, providing that they're still airlocked and therefore not being oxygenated in the process. I've heard that it in primaries it will dissolve unwanted compounds from the krausen back into the wort, and dredge up dead yeast from the cake. Will this have a substantially lengthy negative effect or will things settle back out given a few days? Of course, in secondaries it's going to put the yeast back into suspension a bit but I know that will settle out fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
kblankenship11
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

There's probably no avoiding them getting shaken up, I wouldn't worry too much, things will settle back down. If it was me i'd buy a few bungs without holes so oxygen can't get in while things are moving around to prevent oxygenation. If things really get moving around co2 could get out of solution and pop them off but I guess it depends on your driving... I'd worry more about that than anything else.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Do whatever suits your anxiety level. I'm sure that beer can be moved safely in the fermenter. But if it was me, I'd take a brief break from brewing, and have one less thing to worry about on a very busy day.

Cheers!

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Quick Reply