Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > moving beer from a corny to another corny

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
happyinsonoma
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default moving beer from a corny to another corny

If I wanted to move some beer to keep and give the rest to someone can I just pressurize the tank and move it as I would serving it and just setup another outlet from the outlet of the filled corny?

Would I pressurize one corny inlet, push it out the outlet, to another outlet of the empty? I can't push it in the inlet w/o something going out correct?

I force carbed them and was going to install a co2 tank to push it from one tank to the other. I have two kegs or a keg and a half and I wanted to save a little for friends to taste before I give the rest away tomorrow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #2
djsethall
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinsonoma View Post
Would I pressurize one corny inlet, push it out the outlet, to another outlet of the empty? I can't push it in the inlet w/o something going out correct?
I would pressurize vessel A (with the beer) and use the two outlets connected idea. Place the empty corney (vessel b) on a scale (digital bathroom scale perhaps) and release pressure using the relief valve on the lid from vessel b until you have the right amount of beer in vessel b. Water weighs about 8.35 lbs per gallon. You could use that number as a general reference. If you wanted to give the person 2 gallons of beer, it would weigh 16.7 lbs. Don't forget to take into consideration the weight of the corney. I believe this is how breweries fill bottles using a counter pressure system to prevent loss of carbonation. Hope that helps

Old 06-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
astropunk
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes, do exactly as you described. Except I would pre-fill the receiving keg with CO2. To get the beer to flow, you will need to lift the pressure release of the receiving keg.

“Here's to a long life, and a merry one;
a quick death, and an easy one;
a pretty girl, and an honest one;
a cold beer - and another one!”

Old 06-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
bucfanmike

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

correct, just make a jumper hose with beer out qds on both sides. purge the o2 from the receiving keg with co2 and then release all pressure from both kegs. with the pressure reliefs closed hook up the co2 to the 1st keg and only use enough pressure to move the beer, about 2-4lbs. with the jumper hooked from beer out to beer out, pull the pressure relief on the receiving keg and the beer will start to flow. (if you have pin locks youll have to depress the poppet on the gas in side of course)

Mike in Duluth

Currently on Tap
1. Hefeweizen
2. BM Centennial Blonde
3. LHMS Clone

Pipeline
Next on Tap-Denny Conn Rye IPA
Kegged and aging Ed Worts Apfelwine, Denny Conn BVIP
Fermenters -

Old 06-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Maybe this doesn't need to be said but...run off a couple pints from the first corny before you start the transfer and you will end up with a keg that has very little yeast in it. I always do this for kegs that I want to transport.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
djsethall
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhabit View Post
Maybe this doesn't need to be said but...run off a couple pints from the first corny before you start the transfer and you will end up with a keg that has very little yeast in it. I always do this for kegs that I want to transport.
+1
That sounds like a great idea to improve clarity and such. I might do this from now on just to improve clarity.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
happyinsonoma
Recipes 

Thanks guys, im about to get it started..

Quick Reply