Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Moving to All Grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 754 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Yeah, I'm anticipating adding heat at some point. I just want to know an estimate of when so I don't need to stare at the pot for an hour.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 724 Times on 608 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Without seeing your setup, I'm going to guess that if you used any kind of insulation like a towel or coat or sleeping bag you would not lose enough in the first 20 minutes to severely affect your mash. That's only a guess though but suppose you lost 5 degrees during that 20 minutes. You would still be at mashing temperature but would create more short chain sugars making your wort more fermentable. Since this is planned to be a partial mash, this should not affect your beer to any great extent. If you were doing this as an all grain batch where you create all the fermentables you would notice that your beer was drier than you expected but it would still be quite drinkable.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 754 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Without seeing your setup, I'm going to guess that if you used any kind of insulation like a towel or coat or sleeping bag you would not lose enough in the first 20 minutes to severely affect your mash. That's only a guess though but suppose you lost 5 degrees during that 20 minutes. You would still be at mashing temperature but would create more short chain sugars making your wort more fermentable. Since this is planned to be a partial mash, this should not affect your beer to any great extent. If you were doing this as an all grain batch where you create all the fermentables you would notice that your beer was drier than you expected but it would still be quite drinkable.

Good point, I am only using 2 lbs of fermentable grain in my mash. And dry is good...it's an IPA.

Quick Reply