Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > moved to an appartment, any tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
BFitch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default moved to an appartment, any tips

so i moved out of my parents house a couple months ago and now that im settled in, i want to start brewing again. i made one batch a while back but it never finished fermenting, so im eager to try again. heres the problem though, at my parents house, the basement stayed around 70 degrees all the time, but since i have no basement now, it looks like im around 75-80 degrees. anyone have any tips on what to do to keep my temps down, or what to brew that can ferment at those temps?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Wait until September. To check on yeast stains that might work better for you: http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html

Old 08-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 1157

I live in AZ and my house is almost over 70F. I use the "swamp cooler" method with great results. Basically, a large tub half filled with water and swap out frozen bottles of water twice a day and can get into the low 60s with this method. Not as easy or as ideal as a fridge with a temp control, but it works great.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 08-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
prpromin
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I suggest maybe a swamp cooler. Of course, if you have cash to throw at the problem, you could always build a fermentation chamber. I brew all-grain in an apartment and have a closet dedicated to beer stuff and fermentation. It works great. Otherwise, looking up higher temp strains is the way to go.

Good luck

Old 08-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'm in an apartment too. I use a storage size rubbermaid container and it works just fine. You do have to stay up on switching out water bottles, but if you keep a good enough stock in the freezer, shouldn't have any issues

Future: Black IPA Redux, possibly others
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA, Starry Night Vanilla Bourbon Porter

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 08-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A swamp cooler is easy but if you can spare $100, get a Johnson Controller ($40 in classified) and a 4+ cu ft mini fridge off Craigslist (~$50).

Not only will ale temp control be easy, but you won't have to deal with water and you can do a lager in the fridge also.

Also get to know your neighbors and apartment staff (share your beer!) so they know what you are doing. Being confused with a meth cook isn't fun.

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 08-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Marchborne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

In the meantime, brew some saisons. They'll be perfectly happy at 75-80.

"I said something to drink, not something to bathe in."

Therapy is for those unfortunates who've run out of beer.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
BainbridgeBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When I was brewing in an apartment I used the towel or t-shirt soaked in water method. Wrap a wet towel around the fermenter and tie it off with a rope or string. Re wet the towel as needed. You can also point a fan at it to create a swamp cooler effect to lower temps even more. I'm using this method in my little garage as we speak. Its able to drop the temps about 10* F without a fan.

Quick Reply