New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The most efficient way to cool wort




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Jcoz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 121
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default The most efficient way to cool wort

I have a immersion chiller, and I will be adding the pieces to whirlpool as well, however my problem is with ice. The three batches I've done so far have taken me $15+ in ice and upwards of an hour to chill the wort,and even then I still can't get it into the 60's. Ideally I don't want to spend ANY money on buying ice... As it is it nearly doubles the cost of a batch of beer!

I thought the whirlpool would take care of this, but from what I'm reading, that still doesn't completely take care of the issue. What is the min temp I would need to get my wort to if I just wanted to use my fermentation fridge to cool it the rest of the way overnight?

What types of setups and or additional equipment can I get/install to completely relieve my reliance on purchasing ice? I have searched around but don't see a whole lot of great solutions for this. I don't have the room to stock up on homemade ice, at least not 5 gallons worth.

Any help is greatly appreciated.



__________________
Jcoz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Love2BrewCrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Love2BrewCrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: North Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 129
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Your wort chiller will bring the batch down to your desired temperature without ice. Are you having an issue with it?



Love2BrewCrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
danielofthedale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Monticello, Georgia
Posts: 280
Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

I have only brewed one batch of beer, but I was able to get my wort down to about 78F in around 30min. I put in about three trays of ice in my sink and filled about half way with water and put my brew pot in. Once the ice melted I put in about half a bag and when that melted put in the rest of the bag. I then took the spray and sprayed cold water around the pot, rotating the pot every min. or so, for about 10min. until I got the wort down to about 120F. I then moved the wort to my frementer bucket. Once in the bucket I stated to poor in bottled water I placed in the freezer. Once I just about topped off the wort to 5gals. it was down to 78F and I pitched the yeast.

That said, if this is a poor way to go about getting the temp down please let me know so I don't make the same mistake again.

__________________
danielofthedale is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
CrystallineEntity
cosmozoan life-form
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CrystallineEntity's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 4,213
Liked 834 Times on 815 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Sounds like you DON'T have an immersion chiller. An immersion chiller is a copper or stainless coil that you put IN your brew kettle to chill the wort. You run cold tap water through the coil to chill the beer. No ice needed.

__________________
I had to do number 2 at the Burger King. I probably have crabs now. - Reelale

I fit right in with the people I admire most - David Yow

http://smokenator.com/
CrystallineEntity is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hanford, CA
Posts: 5,673
Liked 1682 Times on 1048 Posts
Likes Given: 2443

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystallineEntity View Post
Sounds like you DON'T have an immersion chiller. An immersion chiller is a copper or stainless coil that you put IN your brew kettle to chill the wort. You run cold tap water through the coil to chill the beer. No ice needed.
Assuming you do have an immersion chiller how are you using the ice? There are different scenarios I can think of when using ice. What is yours?
__________________
Dan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BrewKnurd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prairieville, LA
Posts: 2,667
Liked 218 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post
I have a immersion chiller, and I will be adding the pieces to whirlpool as well, however my problem is with ice. The three batches I've done so far have taken me $15+ in ice and upwards of an hour to chill the wort,and even then I still can't get it into the 60's. Ideally I don't want to spend ANY money on buying ice... As it is it nearly doubles the cost of a batch of beer!
$15 on ice? for 5 gallons? Good gravy!

I have an immersion chiller, i run hose water through it until the wort is down to about 110-120, and then swap to using a small fountain pump to run ice water through the chiller. Usually takes a 20 lb bag of ice, which is <$4.
__________________

Fake it til you make it.

BrewKnurd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
jaycount
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 1,008
Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I just run an immersion chiller from ground water. Even in the Summer I can get down below 90 within 20-30 minutes and then put it in the fridge for a little bit to get to pitching temps.

i've seen pre-chillers that are miniature immersion chillers that you put inline between the faucet and the actual chiller. The pre-chiller sits in a bucket of icewater and helps get the ground water to a lower temp before it hits the wort.

__________________
jaycount is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hanford, CA
Posts: 5,673
Liked 1682 Times on 1048 Posts
Likes Given: 2443

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycount View Post
i've seen pre-chillers that are miniature immersion chillers that you put inline between the faucet and the actual chiller. The pre-chiller sits in a bucket of icewater and helps get the ground water to a lower temp before it hits the wort.
Thats pretty much what I do here in the summer time when ground water is 80 degrees. Cool off till about 90-100, it won't get any cooler than that, and then use the prechiller. I think next summer once the wort cools to 90-100 degrees I'm just going to transfer to the fermenter and put in the ferm chamber until the next day.

I love winter brewing. Cold ground water and quick chilling time.
__________________
Dan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
Jcoz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 121
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2BrewCrew
Your wort chiller will bring the batch down to your desired temperature without ice. Are you having an issue with it?
Yes I had a big problem with mine. I have 50' 1/2" copper immersion chiller and a sump type pump. I can drop 70-80 degrees in 15min and then it takes me 45 min and several bags of ice to get to 70-75, and even then I need another 10 degrees to get to pitching temps.

I am in md, so when I did these batches it was pretty hot outside but I'd think I could overcome that.
__________________
Jcoz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 58,635
Liked 3855 Times on 2816 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post
Yes I had a big problem with mine. I have 50' 1/2" copper immersion chiller and a sump type pump. I can drop 70-80 degrees in 15min and then it takes me 45 min and several bags of ice to get to 70-75, and even then I need another 10 degrees to get to pitching temps.

I am in md, so when I did these batches it was pretty hot outside but I'd think I could overcome that.
I don't use a pond pump. I just use tap water. If your tap water is under 70 degrees (probable at this time of year), you could run tap water. Many people will use the pond pump at first, or in the summer when the tap water is warm, to bring the temp down to 100 degrees or so, then just use tap water to bring it down to 65 degrees.


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes