Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > More yeast or more sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2005, 01:34 AM   #11
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
I would have to diagree. His carbonation levels should meet HIS requirements. I like my stouts with more carbonation than the style usually has, others don't like it that way.
OK. I can accept that.

At the time of my comment I was thinking to the original style should one be trying to clone a brew they particularly liked a lot.

Who here hasn't said, "well, it's a bit spicier than the style, but I like those hops", or "I like it sweeter than the original" or "more bitter, darker, lighter, maltier, etc.".

These are all acceptable answers to us homebrewers.

Question: Have you ever entered your "overcarbonated" in a brew contest? If so, what were the comments concerning the style? Did it win, place or show or miss out on a prize because of it? I'm just curious.

You can PM me with your answer if you'd like. And "no" is an acceptable answer if you've never entered a contest. Some people never win no matter how many times they enter. It's not their beers fault. I've judged several contest and found some of the losers tasted better to me than the winners.

(TIP: In my experience, he/she who wins a particular style is determined mostly about how many entries there are in that style. Picking an obscure style always gives you a numerical advantage.)

FWIW, I have only entered 2 contests. One was the worldwide Sam Adams contest in about 1995. Not a chance in Hades for that one. And the second, a local one in 1997. I scored Best of Style (German Hefe Weizen) and Best of Show (same beer) to beat out over 100 other brews. For my prize I got to brew 250 gals at the local brewpub.

I have not entered any contests since 1997. I didn't plan on entering that one. I don't plan on entering another one. I have nothing to prove to anyone except myself.

I could have won as a fluke. Hell, I had it in the (plastic) primary for 32 days!
(Just recovering from a heart attack didn't allow me to lift heavy weights for several weeks to rack into a carboy).

I brew to please myself sure, but I always strive to clone a good Weizen.

That brings us back to your previous comment about meeting MY requirements.

I appreciate the interaction with you guys. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2005, 12:56 AM   #12
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
OK. I can accept that.

At the time of my comment I was thinking to the original style should one be trying to clone a brew they particularly liked a lot.

Who here hasn't said, "well, it's a bit spicier than the style, but I like those hops", or "I like it sweeter than the original" or "more bitter, darker, lighter, maltier, etc.".

These are all acceptable answers to us homebrewers.

Question: Have you ever entered your "overcarbonated" in a brew contest? If so, what were the comments concerning the style? Did it win, place or show or miss out on a prize because of it? I'm just curious.
I've never entered any of my brews in any contest, as I don't have anything to prove. I like it. My friends who have tried them, they like it too. That's good enough for me.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:37 AM   #13
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
I've never entered any of my brews in any contest, as I don't have anything to prove. I like it. My friends who have tried them, they like it too. That's good enough for me.
Then it's good enough for me too!

Quick Reply