Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > More then 50% chocolate malt, fixing this mistake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 03:53 AM   #1
warner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default More then 50% chocolate malt, fixing this mistake

So went down to the brew shop to pick up grain for my next brew day. Well I messed up on weighing out the grain and ended up with something along the lines of 2 lbs British 2 row, .5 lbs crystal 20, 1.5 lbs crystal 60, and about 5 lbs chocolate malt. I figured since I messed up might as well mill it and give it a shot. I'm hoping thats enough 2 row to provide the enzymes for the mash. Anyone one have any experience with a mash with this much roasted malt?

I was thinking about trying to turn it in to a 3 gal all grain batch and using british yeast with it. Hoping it turns out something porter or stout like. Any ideas on how bitter it would be, how to hop this, or anything else that could be done or added to this grain bill that could help?

This is the first (and hopefully only) time I've messed up like this so any help would be great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 03:58 AM   #2
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1024 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 2733

That's WAY too much chocolate. I wouldn't bet that this would be drinkable. If it was me I'd save this as a "dark roasted malt" that you can add in small amounts to future batches, and I'd start over. Just my opinion...

Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #3
warner
Recipes 

If I where to do that since its already milled any suggestions on keeping it so it doesn't go bad?

Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #4
Lechien
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree with Stauffbier.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #5
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Too bad it's milled. You might be able to buy a couple months in the freezer. Do you have friends that brew or are you in a homebrew club? You could split it up into 5 or 6 batches and add a bunch of 2 Row and a little more crystal. Make a "big brew party" out of it.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
warner
Recipes 

I guess I'll stick it in the freezer for now and possibly just take it as a learning experience, oh well.

Though I found a recipe in radical brewing for "stout butt beer 1720" which is 86% brown malt and 14% 6 row. I've never used brown malt, but how much difference is there between brown and chocolate malt? Might just try making a gallon batch out of some of the grain and save the rest.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
shoshin
Shoshin Picobrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I recently brewed a beer with 25% dark malt (including ~4% carafa and ~8% black patent) and it was totally undrinkable. +1 to previous suggestions, try to use your malt in smaller portions in other beers.

Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Belgian Quad
Kegged: Columbus IPA, Dark Mild
Bottled:
-RIS
-Belgian Dubbel
-jmo88's Holly Ale (2013)
-jmo88's Holly Ale (2014)
-Olde Ale
-Cascadian Dark Ale

Up Next: Breakfast Stout, IIPA, Vienna Lager

Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

We need some tasting notes if you do brew this with all 5 lbs

Kegged empty

Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Sounds like it'd turn out like Satan's arse tarted up with sweetex using the originally posted percentages

Supposedly a decent tupperware tub in the freezer can keep milled grains fresh enough for a couple, to a few, months Then you could gradually use up the specialty malts whilst using proper quantities of your base malts

Old 01-16-2013, 04:33 AM   #10
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warner View Post
I guess I'll stick it in the freezer for now and possibly just take it as a learning experience, oh well.

Though I found a recipe in radical brewing for "stout butt beer 1720" which is 86% brown malt and 14% 6 row. I've never used brown malt, but how much difference is there between brown and chocolate malt? Might just try making a gallon batch out of some of the grain and save the rest.
There's a pretty big difference between brown and chocolate. Brown is about half way between the color of 2Row and chocolate. I will say that Brown malt is a nice malt, though. I like it a lot, but in your case it's nothing like what you have.

Get a few extra buckets, a 55lb sack of 2 Row, and a few specialty malts and mix that "chocolate heavy" grain bill you have to make ambers, browns, stouts, porters, etc. I'd say you could split it up in to about 6 to 8 batches to even out all of that dark malt.

Quick Reply