Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > more temperature/fermentation concerns concerns

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
jderm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default more temperature/fermentation concerns concerns

I brewed cream stout on thursday night; i pitched a Wyeast Lab pack. The carboy and wort have been a steady 68 degrees since then; dropping to 64 last night. Fermentation hasnt seem to have started yet;there hasn't been any airlock activity. I measured the OG on thursday night, ~1.040.
What course of action should i take? I think i need to move it somewhere a bit warmer, but i'm not sure what do about the seemingly dormant yeast.
anyone got suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

We'd need to know what yeast you're using, and what your estimated OG is. As for what the maximum temperature you can ferment: it really is dependant on what yeast strain you're using. Some ale yeasts let you go to 70 (some Belgians can go even higher), while other ale yeasts will start giving you off flavors going up to 65.

If you want to try kicking up fermentation, then you can try raising the temp to the maximum of your particular yeast. You can also stir the yeast slurry to get more yeast in solution. If after a few days your gravity is still not going down, then you can try pitching more yeast and/or yeast nutrient. But seeing as you brewed this up on Thursday night, I would still wait a couple more days before worrying with the fermentation.

On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Old 01-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wait a couple more days before you do anything, read the stickys at the top of this section and RDWHAHB.

Also remember that almost all fermentations differ in some way, there are too many variables to track that affect fermentation, some of which are out of our control, not the least of which is: Moon phase, barometric pressure, vibrations, yeast state of mind, etc, etc.

Keep on brewing my friend

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Quick Reply