New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > More on Muntons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
tndave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default More on Muntons

I ordered a recipe kit and it came with Muntons and now I have read all kinds of bad things on here about Muntons. I ordered some other yeast, but it won’t be here until early next week and I really wanted to brew Saturday night. I don’t have a local supply store so I was thinking about going ahead and brew Sat and keep an eye on it and if it don’t look like it is going finish low enough then add something like safale us-05. Is that ok or a bad idea?

Liberty Cream Ale is the recipe.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1759

'Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it'--Ronald Reagan

'Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.'--Ronald Reagan

Last edited by tndave; 02-05-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Added Recipe Link

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
JPicasso
Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

What bad things have you heard? I"ve used Muntons (Gold?) yeast on two batches (extract) and didn't have any issues. Beer turned out fine.

I'd vote go for it, and if it doesn't finish add the other yeast.
I'd also give it 3 weeks to finish.

Brew on

Old 02-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

A sweeter finish is probably a good idea on that recipe. But, it doesn't hurt to have something in reserve, even Munton's Gold would dry it out.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
tndave
Recipes 

Ok, I think I'll just go for it. I do plan to re-hydrate prior to pitching, so I'll at least know if it's alive, should be midwest sells a lot of stuff so it shouldn't be that old. I ordered two more kits and got wyeast 1056 with them and ordered some safale just to keep in the fridge just in case I ever get some dead yeast. After that hopefully I will start just buying the ingredients to have on hand when I want to brew and start to experiment some instead of buying kits.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1759

'Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it'--Ronald Reagan

'Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.'--Ronald Reagan

Old 02-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPicasso View Post
What bad things have you heard? I"ve used Muntons (Gold?) yeast on two batches (extract) and didn't have any issues. Beer turned out fine.

I'd vote go for it, and if it doesn't finish add the other yeast.
I'd also give it 3 weeks to finish.

Brew on
Munton's Gold is high quality stuff. It's their regular dry people struggle with.

Quick Reply