Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > More Hops??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
tpurnick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default More Hops??

The IPA recipe I used called for 1oz Galena for 60 and 1/2oz Columbus at 5. I dry hopped 5 days ago with 1 oz Columbus. I took a taste last night and do not think it will be hoppy enough. Can someone recommend a hop addition that might work well for the last 5 days in the secondary? Or, is just that it needs more time with what I have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpurnick
The IPA recipe I used called for 1oz Galena for 60 and 1/2oz Columbus at 5. I dry hopped 5 days ago with 1 oz Columbus. I took a taste last night and do not think it will be hoppy enough. Can someone recommend a hop addition that might work well for the last 5 days in the secondary? Or, is just that it needs more time with what I have.
That doesn't seem like a lot of hops for an American IPA. I'm still a noob, but I like me some hoppy beers. The few times I've done ipas I've used anywhere from 5-7oz for the boil and flame out additions. Plus another 2.5-3oz DH. Maybe your beer would benefit from another 3oz to the DH? Try 1oz Columbus and 2oz Cascade for 7 days.
bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Old 01-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

The amount of hops required depends on beer volume and OG measurement.

If you had an OG of about 1.065 for 5 gallons then I would say you need at least 3.5 oz of hops in the boil and flame out plus at least 1 oz dry hop but I would personally use 2 oz dry hop. Also I would want my IBU's to be between 60 and 80.

IPA's need a certain GU:BU ratio (gravity to bittering units) to make them to style but they won't taste and smell hoppy unless you put more hops at the tail end of the boil and ideally dry hop.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 01-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Abedrinkin
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I'd say add at least 1 more oz of something else. I prefer cascade hops, they give that nice "piney" aroma to your brew. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

When you say not hoppy enough, dry hopping adds more aroma...no bitterness. So are you looking for more nose and flavor? or it's not bitter enough that an IPA should have?

I just kegged my Amarillo IPA last night and used 4oz throughout the boil and 2oz dry hop and it's fantastic. Some hop heads go even more nuts with it....but I have zero'd in on what works for me and my palate.

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

If it's more bitterness you are after, then you could try this

...or you can accept your beer for what it is. Dry hop with some uber dank/piney/citrusy pellets for a week and then bottle. Carbonation can certainly affect the perceived bitterness of your beer.

bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Old 01-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
jerryboy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I am not sure that throwing more dry hops will cover this up. I think it needs more late boil hops but remember that carbonation will add to your beer also.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
Fletcher21
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

If you have not bottled yet you could make a hop tea by boiling hops for 15+ minutes and then add the tea.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
tpurnick
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnoob1 View Post
When you say not hoppy enough, dry hopping adds more aroma...no bitterness. So are you looking for more nose and flavor? or it's not bitter enough that an IPA should have?

I just kegged my Amarillo IPA last night and used 4oz throughout the boil and 2oz dry hop and it's fantastic. Some hop heads go even more nuts with it....but I have zero'd in on what works for me and my palate.
yeah...i am looking for more nose. i picked up an oz of cascade, so i think i will through that in for a few days.

Quick Reply