More Grain than recipe calls for

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goforevercrazywithit

Reaction score
I went to my local homebrew shop for the first time and bagged my own grain. I guess I went wrong somewhere because I ended up with about a 8 to 12 oz more grain then what the recipe called for:drunk:. It could have been just more of one type of grain or just a little more of all of them. They were for a Pale Ale and a Brown Ale, both were more than the recipe.

My question is how much will this effect the taste of the beer? Could this be a good thing or will it significantly change the taste of my beer?

It really depends on if there was one grain that was all of the difference. It also depends on what that one grain was. A base malt would make little to no difference. A dark malt grain could make a significant change.

If it was a little of each I would guess that you would be hard pressed to notice anything different including alcohol level.

Back