Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > More ferment & gravity questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #11
jturie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Just checked my gravity of my NB Dry Irish Stout that has been sitting in the primary for 1 week. OG was 1.044, and today's reading was 1.014. I'm gonna let it sit for another week and take another reading. Hoping it will hit 1.012, but if not it will be close enough for kegging.

Keg 1: Rye IPA
Keg 2: Rye IPA
Keg 3: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg 4: Empty

On Deck: Lemon Line Hefe, Saison, SNPA Clone

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #12
KCBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1394 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Great, thanks for the info. I suppose if I subtract .002 from my OG for the hydrometer being inaccurate, it would put me at 1.045, which is nearly the same as yours. I'm on day 8, but haven't taken a reading. I'll take one tomorrow. I did have great fermentation for the first 2-3 days with a little blow off even.

These were my first batches in glass carboys. My first was done in ale pale, so no visuals of the fermentation. I'm glad I picked up the glass ones, it's pretty cool to watch the stuff swirl around in there going crazy the first couple days. It looks like stuff is rising from the bottom and falling from the top, then meeting in the middle with force making it all swirl around.

One thing I found strange was that I overfilled by about 1/2 gallon on all of these batches, and was expecting to be slightly under on OG. My first batch of wheat only came out to about 4.5 gallons, so I decided to try adding a little more water to compensate this time.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #13
KCBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1394 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturie View Post
Hoping it will hit 1.012, but if not it will be close enough for kegging.
Forgot to ask, are you saying you are going to keg it next weekend?

Old 03-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
jalgayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padstack31 View Post
Gravities can be off in an extract kit...if you boil off more water then the recipe is calculated for then you'll concentrate the wort slightly and cause the gravity to increase...but you mention good things to check too.
I am not sure if that would be a reason for a diff. gravity reading. Even if you boil off more water than expected... when you take your gravity reading you have added enough water to bring it to 5 gallons.

I think my off readings just had may have been due to the temp at which I took the readings.

Regards,
Jason

BOTTLED / DRINKING
Mad-Elf Inspiration, Graff

SECONDARY
Flander's Sour Red {1 Year Old on July 28, 2011}

PRIMARY
Vanilla-Almond Pumpkin Ale, Surly Furious, Triple Karmelite Clone

ON DECK
Double White

Quick Reply