New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Monster Mill 2-2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
WileECoyote
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Default Monster Mill 2-2.0

Well I just pulled the trigger on a Monster Mill 2-2.0 the other day, cant wait to get it, this was after reading just about every thread I could find about every mill.
It seemed to win out for several reasons, 1= longevity I wanted a mill that would out live me
2= very adjustable I want to be able to crush corn if I get the notion, without having to purchase another mill.
3= 1/2" drive shaft, beefy is better lol and the local hardware store has 1/2" pulleys in stock.
4= 2" rollers, once again the beefy thing, I read several post about people having some issues with 1 1/2" rollers not feeding the grain on some mills (didn't want to deal with that)
5=Its overkill for me, I like overkill
Edit; 6= Im hoping to go to all grain batches soon (BIAB) and Im tired of crushing grain by hand on a cookie sheet with a 32oz beer bottle.
Please feel free to post why you got a Monster Mill 2-2.0 instead of a 1 1/2" roller mill or any other mill, or if you have had feed problems with your mill, I thought Id edit after seeing 33 views and not any reply's.

I hope this post helps someone else out that is thinking about getting a mill, I will update after I use the mill.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost! WileECoyote

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar! WileECoyote

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
WileECoyote

Recipes 

Okee Dokee then, no one? not one reply? OK so my grain mill was delivered today, I was a bit concerned seeing as the box was beat up quite a bit, I unpacked it and everything faired quit well, read the instructions (very unlike me to do so), checked the gaps, 45 thou and 47 thou, I re-gapped it to 44 thou on both sides, put the base on, assembled the hopper and installed it onto the mill and made sure the rollers turned free, chucked up my 1/2" cordless drill, dumped in 1/2lb of grain, and my drill wouldn't turn it, the battery was low lol, changed battery and presto it was eating grain like IDK what? so I added the crushed grain with another 1/2lb not crushed, and had my wife dump it all in while it was running and it stopped my cordless drill, I was trying to run it way to slow, 2nd try was quite a bit faster and it crushed the grain very nice, very little flour, every grain crushed, I cant wait to use it this weekend with about 6 lbs of grain (partial mash).

I have to say the MM2-2.0 mill is quite a fine piece of machinery, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least, now I have the urge to crush everything I can find, anyone live near Mohave Valley that needs a 50# sack of grain crushed? free of corse.

Ill let you know how it go's after I use it this weekend.

Cheers

Anyone else have anything to say?

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar! WileECoyote

Old 09-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
Kate00
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I want one.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
buzzbromp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a mill and just run it with an electric drill. To be honest I didn't pay attention to the roller size and never thought about issues with corn and other grains. I don't recall what I have off the top of my head, but it seems to work well. My only issue is with setting the gap. I turn these knobs on either side of the mill, which then adjusts that side of the roller. One side always moves more than the other and I have a hard time getting both sides equal.

I shot for .032 gap. I also have a hard time with the feeler gage as I'm not sure if it should slip in with a little pressure or not.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
ShinyBuddha
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Got the 1.5 at the recommendation on the people at Monster Mill themselves. I told them the frequency (6-10 batches a year) and amount (each batch 15-30 lbs of grain) I'd be crushing and they said to go with that one. I set my gap for .038 and double crush (run it through twice). Love that mill. I batch sparge in a cooler...

Old 09-20-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
ShinyBuddha
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbromp
I shot for .032 gap. I also have a hard time with the feeler gage as I'm not sure if it should slip in with a little pressure or not.
The gage should slip in with a little pressure...

Old 09-20-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
jammin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I have a motorized MM3 2.0 that chugs along at 157 rpm. If you're not getting increased efficiency and decreased lauter times; it is not the mill's fault. You made a great purchase, sir!

cheers

ps - can someone explain what a stuck sparge is?

Old 09-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #8
ShinyBuddha
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin
ps - can someone explain what a stuck sparge is?
It's where the wort won't drain from the mash tun due to fine material clogging the screen/manifold.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
WileECoyote

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyBuddha View Post
Got the 1.5 at the recommendation on the people at Monster Mill themselves. I told them the frequency (6-10 batches a year) and amount (each batch 15-30 lbs of grain) I'd be crushing and they said to go with that one. I set my gap for .038 and double crush (run it through twice). Love that mill. I batch sparge in a cooler...
I also called Monster Mill before I ordered and asked a lot of questions, the gentleman on the phone (Im assuming was Fred) was very helpful and very patient, He asked me how often I brew and amounts of grain,
He recommended that I also get the 1 1/2"=2 roller mill, He said that it would be more than enough mill for my needs.
When I mention to him that I would like to have the capability of crushing corn too and I asked if the 2"=2 roller mill could do that, he said yes it would.
In all honesty I don't know if I will ever crush corn, but just incase, its nice to be able to with this mill.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Old 09-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
WileECoyote

Recipes 

Hello, Last night I used my mill on about 8 lbs of grain, the mill ate it up like nothing, but my ryobi 2 speed cordless drill 1/2" drive, set on the slower RPM setting, would not run this mill if I loaded the grain first, so what I did was slowly pour in the grain while the mill was running, it worked but next time I will be using my 1/2 drive milwaukee corded drill, as soon as I can get the pulleys and a motor I will be building a milling cart/table, that way I don't end up killing my good milwaukee drill lol, I was kinda surprised at how much torque it required to turn the mill even with pouring the grain in very slowly.

Any of you guys or gals have any recommendations on a source for motors and or pulleys and what HP should I be looking for ? I have an old washing machine would that motor work?

Thanks and Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Quick Reply