New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Moldy beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:02 AM   #1
abrdnck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Moldy beer

Here's the story -

I had a batch of California Common which I was fermenting in a bucket in a closet. I left it alone for about a month, and then took the lid off to check gravity a few days ago. Tonight, I opened it to check gravity again and noticed mold along the top of the krausen line. It was definitely mold - blue, fuzzy mold. It smelled like beer, with some mold on it. It looked like a bit floating on top of the beer, as well.

I figured I should dump it, but maybe I've read too many of Revvy's optimism threads and decided to just bottle it anyway (SG has been stable since I checked 3 days ago). I carefully put the racking cane down through a part of the surface that looked particularly unmoldy, and left maybe 3L in the bucket when transferring to the bottling bucket (figuring that the mold is probably mostly surface). I tasted a sample of the beer, and it tastes not bad (considering it was warm and flat). I threw out the bucket that I fermented in.

My thinking is - chances of my beer turning out to be drinkable is slim, but better than if I dumped it. Worst case scenario is that I wasted my time bottling, and even then I got some practice bottling which is valuable at this stage. I'm a bit nervous about bottle bombs, but I have them in a box wrapped in a tarp so they won't cause too big of a mess if that happens.

So, does anyone else have experience with this? I know the mold won't kill me or anything, but it certainly can make the beer pretty untasty.

If it turns out, I will definitely post this on Revvy's screwed-up-my-beer-but-still-tastes-ok thread.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 05:07 AM   #2
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Good call, bro..........

Old 09-08-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
BriarwoodBrewer
Recipes 

I think you did the right thing. Don't ever dump it, always wait and see the final product.

Check us out on Facebook: Briarwoodbrewers

Future Brews:
Auburn Amber Ale
Belgian Hibiscus Wit

Primary:
American Light Lager
Bavarvian Hefeweizen
Honey Blonde Ale

Kegged:
Bourbon Brown Ale
Smashing Pumpkin Ale

Brews of the past:
American Light
Corona Clone
KC Wheat
California Common
Cream Ale

Old 09-08-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I had a pretty significant amount of mold on the krausen ring of a recent beer - not sure why. The beer, which I racked out from under the mold carefully, was FANTASTIC. I mean wow - one of my best. Clean, crisp, no off flavors at all. Very, very tasty.

I also had mold (or something else weird) growing all over the top of a SN Celebration Ale clone. It also turned out great.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 09-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Good steaks are allowed to "age" until moldy, great cheese lives under mold, lot of great stuff involves mold I wouldn't worry.

Quick Reply