Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mold? Salvagable?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
NinjaMedic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Mold? Salvagable?

Ok folks I've looked around on here and seen many different opinions so I'm going to post my pictures and get some advice. We brewed the Deception Cream Stout recipe I found here, and used a wyeast smack pack. We started the pack about two hours before pitching in a pitcher of water (unopened) at 70° but there was no swelling. Pitched the yeast, 24 hrs later there was no activity, 48 hrs later we found this, is this mold? Infection? Pitch the beer and start over?

image-4168249880.jpg

Let me know the photo worked. I can post more tomorrow.

G

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

It's yeast. You're growing a krausen in there, like you're supposed to.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 06-16-2013, 02:32 AM   #3
NinjaMedic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
It's yeast. You're growing a krausen in there, like you're supposed to.
Are you sure? I've never seen it like that before. I'll get better pix tomorrow morning when I'm of work. I hope you're right!!!

Old 06-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
NinjaMedic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Revvy I don't mean to second guess you. We're allergic to mold... Thus the worry about serving bad beer...

Old 06-16-2013, 05:38 AM   #5
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I agree with Revvy...mold would be covering the yeast rafts, or someone can correct me if I am wrong. there is a definite separation between the white substance and the earthier colored substance. Again, correct me if I am wrong, but the krausen bubbles breaking would gently push the yeast rafts away?

Check out Hidden Valley Wolfdog Sanctuary on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hidden...82770901746380

Working to save unwanted Wolfdogs from euthenasia, and educating the public about the joys and trials of Wolfdog and other exotic canid companionship.

NinjaMedic Likes This 
Old 06-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2196 Times on 1489 Posts
Likes Given: 2224

Looks like the recipe calls for a starter and you under-pitched, possibly with old or mishandled yeast, hence the delayed yeast activity. Pic is hard to make out, but it's almost certainly yeast. I doubt there could be that much mold growth so soon unless your carboy was fuzzy when you racked into it.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

People Like This 
Old 06-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Why would you think in 48 hours after yeast pitch that it would be ANYTHING OTHER than yeast? And what would give you any thought that MOLD would be forming in such a short time? Yeast is going to start forming any time between 24 and 72 hours, ESPECIALLY if you didn't make a starter.

Why do folks automatically assume that whatever they see is something bad??? Fermentation is ugly and stinky even when perfectly normal.

Mold is something that people get if something is sitting stagnant for weeks if not months. Not something that's going to develop so soon after they moved the wort into a clean, sanitized vessel.

And besides if mold DID develop on TOP of your fermented beer, all you would need to do is rack below the mold, and the beer would be fine. Mold doesn't mean our beer is bad. Mold develops on the surface of something in the presence of oxygen, it actually ends up protecting the beer, which is in an anerobic environment...It's usually perfectly fine and drinkable below the mold. Many of us have racked and drank beer that did have some mold on it, like if it's been in a secondary for months and the airlock has dried out. Which is one of the RARE situations where mold could actually form.

And in most situations that beer is fine. It can't harm you, because no matter what kind of infection a beer might get, even mold growing on it, nothing that can harm you can exist in the acidic, boiled, hoppy and alcoholic environment that beer is. The only types of infections that can grow in beer, lactobasilus, aecetobactor, pediococcus (sp) are not harmful to human consumption, they may not taste pleasant (though sometimes they do to sour beer fans, or fans of MALT VINEGAR (Acetobactor))

But they can't harm you. Even mold.....

It's not going to form in an active environment where yeast is consuming sugars, waking up from lag, and being forced to reproduce in situ because you didn't make a starter for it. There's a lot going on on a micro level in our fermenters, even when we think nothing is happening.

I bet today you have an even larger krausen forming.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

NinjaMedic Likes This 
Old 06-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
ericbw
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Why would you think in 48 hours after yeast pitch that it would be ANYTHING OTHER than yeast? And what would give you any thought that MOLD would be forming in such a short time? Yeast is going to start forming any time between 24 and 72 hours, ESPECIALLY if you didn't make a starter.

Why do folks automatically assume that whatever they see is something bad??? Fermentation is ugly and stinky even when perfectly normal.

Mold is something that people get if something is sitting stagnant for weeks if not months. Not something that's going to develop so soon after they moved the wort into a clean, sanitized vessel.

And besides if mold DID develop on TOP of your fermented beer, all you would need to do is rack below the mold, and the beer would be fine. Mold doesn't mean our beer is bad. Mold develops on the surface of something in the presence of oxygen, it actually ends up protecting the beer, which is in an anerobic environment...It's usually perfectly fine and drinkable below the mold. Many of us have racked and drank beer that did have some mold on it, like if it's been in a secondary for months and the airlock has dried out. Which is one of the RARE situations where mold could actually form.

And in most situations that beer is fine. It can't harm you, because no matter what kind of infection a beer might get, even mold growing on it, nothing that can harm you can exist in the acidic, boiled, hoppy and alcoholic environment that beer is. The only types of infections that can grow in beer, lactobasilus, aecetobactor, pediococcus (sp) are not harmful to human consumption, they may not taste pleasant (though sometimes they do to sour beer fans, or fans of MALT VINEGAR (Acetobactor))

But they can't harm you. Even mold.....

It's not going to form in an active environment where yeast is consuming sugars, waking up from lag, and being forced to reproduce in situ because you didn't make a starter for it. There's a lot going on on a micro level in our fermenters, even when we think nothing is happening.

I bet today you have an even larger krausen forming.
All of that is probably true, except that he did mention an allergy to mold. So while "many of us" may have no problems with it, you might imagine the OP's concern and question.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2266 Times on 1974 Posts
Likes Given: 1700

I pitched a liquid yeast once when the wort was a bit too cold. Then the yeast floated to the top as rafts. I swirled it a bit,& later it went back down into the wort & started fermenting. Maybe that's what your seeing here?

Revvy Likes This 
Old 06-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbw View Post
All of that is probably true, except that he did mention an allergy to mold. So while "many of us" may have no problems with it, you might imagine the OP's concern and question.
An allergy to mold usually infers INHALING mold spores. IF they were truly mold spores to begin with, how would he be inhaling them? They would be left behind in a solution when he was racking carefully out from under them. He's in a IDEAL environment NOT to be able to inhale them...He's not in a bucket, he's in a carboy, it's doubtful any spores would come out of there.

Quick Reply