Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mix Oregon Puree with water before racking?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Unibrow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Mix Oregon Puree with water before racking?

I have a wit in the primary now - want to rack onto a big can of Oregon fruit puree in the 2ndary after 14 days. I've used fresh fruit before, but never tried the Oregon puree before.

Some people seem to think the puree is difficult to properly mix with the beer when racking. Does anybody mix the puree with water first? Before adding to 2ndary and racking? I was thinking to mix the can with about 1/2 gallon of sterilized water and go from there.

Any ideas, tips, suggestions, comments or criticism is welcomed. Thanks

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Why would you mix with water? Pour the contents in your secondary and rack. I don't see why the turbulence created from the secondary fermentation wouldn't be enough to get everything blended.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Unibrow
Recipes 

I didn't think about secondary fermentation as being a natural mixer.

I was thinking that after 14 days in the primary, the yeast would be less likely to kick into full gear again and mix things properly.

My thought is that mixing the puree sludge with a little water will make it easier to blend in with 5 gallons. Again, never used the puree before so I could be overly concerned about this.

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

Old 10-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I just did a raspberry wheat. This was canned Oregon whole raspberries, not the purree. Turned out great. I just spun mine up in a sanitized blender for about 2 seconds, poured into carboy, and racked beer on top. I did not do any mixing. I think the re-fermenation will be more vigorous than you think.

Primary #1: Hidden Lake Nut Brown #2: Apple Cider
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale, Orange Pale Ale IV
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: 2H IPA III

Old 10-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just dump it in and rack onto it. The puree is pretty thin, I used the cherry many times in the past with my stouts and it mixes completely with just the force of the beer being transferred.

shat happens

Old 10-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Unibrow
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the canned fruit will be much thinner when blended because it comes in a light syrup. The puree is more sludge like. I may use the canned Oregon fruit if I don't find the correct puree at my LHBS.

How many cans of the raspberries did you use? And how long did the beer sit on the fruit? I may just go this route, instead of the puree.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I split my 5 gallon batch so I could add remaining cranberry extract for about 1/3 of the batch. So I added 2 cans of Oregon canned raspberries (15 oz each?) to ~ 3.5 gallons of beer in secondary.

I wouldn't want any more fruit in there, it was pretty up front with that level of fruit on a hygrometer tasting. I'm guessing it melds together with the beer while bottle conditioning. So no more than 3 cans needed for 5 gallons. It sat in secondary for 3 or 4 weeks, but would have been ready after 2. I just waited until my big brew day last Sunday due to time constraints.

Primary #1: Hidden Lake Nut Brown #2: Apple Cider
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale, Orange Pale Ale IV
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: 2H IPA III

Old 10-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Unibrow
Recipes 

Cool, thanks everyone.

I'll be adding the fruit in about 10 days so I have time to decide if I'm doing puree or blended fruit.

Quick Reply