LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
rmaloney86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Mistakes

Well I just brewed my first batch and I thought I might make some comments as to my experience.

Organization: is probably a brewers best friend, I would have utilized my time differently now that I have been through the whole process. I would have started rehydrated my yeast earlier on in the brewing process.

Counter flow wort chiller: I decided to make one of these before I had even got my brew equipment and I really think having the counterflow chiller took some pressure off me as a first time brewer. I ran a test of my system and it brought my wort down from boiling to 68 degrees, no worries or concerns about getting a cold break.

The biggest mistake I made: when putting the airlock on the fermentation bucket I pushed too firmly with the airlock and it pushed the rubber grommet into the fermenter. To solve this problem I decided to rack from my fermentation bucket to a glass carboy. I had already pitched my yeast so I'm not sure if sucking the yeast through a siphon will break the deal or not but its my only concern at this point.

I'm think its ok.

Whether or not it is I decided to relax and had several Dogfish head shelter pale ales... Its my birthday so the heck with it...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
kevinrobinson
Recipes 

I did the same thing on my first batch. I'm sure your beer will be fine.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:39 AM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Sounds like a pretty normal brewday to me.

As to the grommet, get a replacement and if it goes swimming again just leave it in there, replace it and retrieve it after the fermentation has finished.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:25 AM   #4
gmcastil
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A blow off tube is your friend.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
Dawnhulio
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaloney86 View Post
Well I just brewed my first batch and I thought I might make some comments as to my experience.

Organization: is probably a brewers best friend, I would have utilized my time differently now that I have been through the whole process. I would have started rehydrated my yeast earlier on in the brewing process.

Counter flow wort chiller: I decided to make one of these before I had even got my brew equipment and I really think having the counterflow chiller took some pressure off me as a first time brewer. I ran a test of my system and it brought my wort down from boiling to 68 degrees, no worries or concerns about getting a cold break.

The biggest mistake I made: when putting the airlock on the fermentation bucket I pushed too firmly with the airlock and it pushed the rubber grommet into the fermenter. To solve this problem I decided to rack from my fermentation bucket to a glass carboy. I had already pitched my yeast so I'm not sure if sucking the yeast through a siphon will break the deal or not but its my only concern at this point.

I'm think its ok.

Whether or not it is I decided to relax and had several Dogfish head shelter pale ales... Its my birthday so the heck with it...
Happy Birthday!!!

Welcome to the trials and follies of homebrewing, my friend... Totally pushed the grommet from my bucket to the bottom when attempting to push in the airlock.You should be fine. Not the first time it's happened and we've all had decent brews come from the experience. Next time: don't push so hard. You'll have a decent first brew

Old 06-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
CircusHooker
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Happy birthday! I have nothing useful to add as my first batch has just hit 7 days in primary.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Happy Birthday! Your beer will prevail, I'm sure!

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Quick Reply