Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   Missed OG by 10 pts!!! (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/missed-og-10-pts-10803/)

Rdracera1 07-02-2006 10:29 AM

Missed OG by 10 pts!!!
 
What would cause the gravity to be that far off?
The recipe is a Kolsch. LM Extract & steeping grains. I followed the directions to the letter. 2.5 gallon boil and topped off to exactly 5 gallons in primary. Ran the wort through a kitchen strainer while putting it into primary to remove the bulk of the hops & moss etc... This is my third HB so my experience is limited but, I've never missed a target OG yet. I was supposed to get 1.050 and my measurement was 1.061 (corrected for temp) @ 70 degrees.

So, my feeling is that this won't hurt anything but, the little critters sure have their work cut out for them.

What are all of your thoughts?

:mug:

ahoym8e 07-02-2006 01:13 PM

how much LME and how much grain?

1.061 sounds a mite high for a Kolsh, but hey, maybe you could dry hop it and call it an "Imperial Koelsch." :D

(sorry am on an Imperial anything kick these days)

ahoym8e 07-02-2006 01:14 PM

oh and how high was the temp when you measured your gravity?

david_42 07-02-2006 01:26 PM

With extract incomplete mixing is the biggest problem. Followed by too much or not enough makeup water. Some recipes call for more than 5 gallons because they allow for a larger than normal trub. You might have applied the temperature correction incorrectly.

If you post the actual recipe, we might spot something.

Rdracera1 07-02-2006 05:21 PM

3/4 lb German wheat malt
1/2 lb of Vienna malt
1/4 lb Belgian carmel malt
7.5 lbs of LME

.75 oz Nothern hops for 60m
.75 oz Tettnag hops for 20m
1 tbsp of Irish Moss of 15m
.75 oz of Tettnag hops for 5 m

Wyeast 1338 Euro Ale

2.5 gal boil, 8.5 lbs of RO ice to cool. Top off with ~ 1 gallon of RO water. Wort was sitting about an eighth of an inch above the 5 gallon mark.
Temp of wort was 70 degrees when OG was measured.

Passload 07-02-2006 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdracera1
3/4 lb German wheat malt
1/2 lb of Vienna malt
1/4 lb Belgian carmel malt
7.5 lbs of LME

.75 oz Nothern hops for 60m
.75 oz Tettnag hops for 20m
1 tbsp of Irish Moss of 15m
.75 oz of Tettnag hops for 5 m

Wyeast 1338 Euro Ale

2.5 gal boil, 8.5 lbs of RO ice to cool. Top off with ~ 1 gallon of RO water. Wort was sitting about an eighth of an inch above the 5 gallon mark.
Temp of wort was 70 degrees when OG was measured.

Here is what I came up with using your recipe: (click thumbnail)http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../th_Report.jpg

Rdracera1 07-02-2006 06:59 PM

Thanks Pass. That color is almost a dead on match.

In the beer profile section, did you enter the OG & FG estimates or did it calculate them?

Passload 07-02-2006 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdracera1
Thanks Pass. That color is almost a dead on match.

In the beer profile section, did you enter the OG & FG estimates or did it calculate them?

The program calculated them.

Cheers!
Justin

Rdracera1 07-02-2006 07:08 PM

Very interesting..... So, the software is called "Beer Smith"? What does something like that cost?

Passload 07-02-2006 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdracera1
Very interesting..... So, the software is called "Beer Smith"? What does something like that cost?

Here is the link: Beer Smith. I think they have a free trial version.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:21 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.