Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > missed my gravity, gravity fluctuating between batches...wtf

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
zodiak3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default missed my gravity, gravity fluctuating between batches...wtf

brewed today with anticipation of a 1.067 beer, came with 1.058. im really failing to make the connection of why i didnt hit my gravity. its actually been like every other batch i either do/dont hit numbers. last batch numbers were spot on, batch before too low, before that spot on, and so on. process remains the same and i use beersmith for calculation at what i thought was a 70% efficiency. without breaking down my brewday to every aspect (which i know must probably be done to get a legit answer) are there some standard factors why im getting low numbers every other batch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1257 Times on 836 Posts
Likes Given: 578

Time to do some diagnostics.

Next brew day, follow the instructions here and document every step. This way, you'll be able to figure out where you are losing sugars.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-12-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
GryphonBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Inconsistant grain crush at your LHBS perhaps?

Old 07-12-2011, 04:05 AM   #4
zodiak3000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

@Malfet, thanks for that. i will read over that article thoroughly before my next brewday. i really have followed the same exact steps for the last several batches, which is why im kinda pissed when its been a hit and miss with my OG.

@GryphonBrew. i do get my grains from an online supplier pre-crushed. very well known supplier so i dont wanna name drop and hate if it isnt there fault. but you have made me decide to try out another online HBS to see if its possible...

Old 07-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
BadWolfBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Could just be a skewed beer sample for hydrometer reading. The wort sometimes settles into layers before fermentation agitates it all up. If you are pulling the sample off the top of the carboy, it could appear lighter in density (which is why it is on top).

I use the outer plastic tube from an autosiphon to pull a sample. It is long enough that I can get liquid from the whole height instead just the top section.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
zodiak3000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWolfBrewing View Post
Could just be a skewed beer sample for hydrometer reading. The wort sometimes settles into layers before fermentation agitates it all up. If you are pulling the sample off the top of the carboy, it could appear lighter in density (which is why it is on top).

I use the outer plastic tube from an autosiphon to pull a sample. It is long enough that I can get liquid from the whole height instead just the top section.
Interesting. Ive never heard (or thought) of that. Have you actually seen significant difference in readings with this method?

Old 07-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You're in the beginners section, are you brewing all grain or extract?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
zodiak3000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You're in the beginners section, are you brewing all grain or extract?
AG...for a while now. I guess I should post in the other section..

Old 07-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What about the actual weight of the grains?

I know you are using a reputable vendor and I cannot imagine any business shorting someone on purpose but we are human. I am at my LHBS when they weigh and crush my grains and they have "goofed" a few times, nothing major but still it can happen!

Just a thought

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Old 07-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yeah, being specific helps. The reasons are different often for ag over extract and pm. BadWolfBrewing was more than likely talking about what happens whenver top off water is involved. Water and wort don't mix up that well initially, so it skewes hydro readings- get more wort than water, higher grave than recipe calls for, get more water than wort, lower grav.

In your case, I think using malfet's link is a good thing. It could be anything in your case, inconsistant grain crush is my first thought.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply