Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mini Mash with a very small amount of grain OK...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #21
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
I think the typical range is somewhere between 1 and 1.5qts, so you can go at least a bit beyond 1.25 without any trouble. I couldn't really tell you where the effective limit is, though I believe Yooper suggested earlier in this thread that as much as 2 gallons per pound would work also - not sure if that'd start to eat into your efficiency at that point though, which I guess goes to your question.
I know you mean quarts here, but just to clarify for the newer folks that read this

I think I've heard some of the BIAB folks go as high as 3 quarts/lb for full boils - 7.5 gallon boil on 10lbs of grain. That to me seems REALLY thin, but they do it in Australia a lot I gues.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
I think the typical range is somewhere between 1 and 1.5qts, so you can go at least a bit beyond 1.25 without any trouble. I couldn't really tell you where the effective limit is, though I believe Yooper suggested earlier in this thread that as much as 2 gallons per pound would work also - not sure if that'd start to eat into your efficiency at that point though, which I guess goes to your question.
Traditionally, mashing uses 1.25- 2 quarts of water per pound of grain. But there are some BIABers who use a much higher ratio. I never have, but I have used 2 quarts of water per pound when I had a smaller mash.

I remember someone (John Palmer?) saying that in general you want to use no more than about 3 quarts of water per pound of grain total, including the sparge. I've kept that in the back of my mind for years- but of course the BIAB folks have successfully been doing that or thinner.

Still, for traditional mini-mashes, I'd keep the 2 quarts of water per pound of grain as a max until I had more experience with thinner mashes.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #23
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
I know you mean quarts here, but just to clarify for the newer folks that read this
D'oh!!!

Quick Reply