Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mini-mash using a cooler vs. boiling in a bag

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
dmako
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mini-mash using a cooler vs. boiling in a bag

I just started trying a mini-mash, and have been using the techniques in the thread on this site.

But now I'm wondering would it be easier/better to construct a cooler based mash unit. It seems like once made it would be easier to simply add your water and let sit for an hour vs. the straining bag, etc.

I was thinking of a 5-gal. setup.

Comments?

PS: didn't mean boiling with bag as its steeping.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1108 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The grain bag technique is ideal for people who don't want to mess around with cooler conversion. I'd agree though that the cooler with a braid installed makes it fool proof and convenient.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 09-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I am not sure if you steeping roasted grains and or mashing base malts. The cooler conversion is definitely easier and likely a bit more efficient.

Gary

Old 09-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
DrinksWellWithOthers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I messed around with the bag method twice when starting to do partial mashes. The first time went well but the second time was just a giant PITA. The next day I converted a cooler into a mash tun with a stainless steel braided hose and haven't looked back since.

Quick Reply