Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mini Mash Rye Pale Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I don't care as much about the efficiency as long as I get the flavor. My beers seem to reach higher than projected OG's anyway.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
rodwha
Recipes 

Were I to use 2 lbs of rye malt would 1 lb of 2 row (pale) be enough? I'm concerned with how much I'd be able to fit into a 2 gal cooler.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #13
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Not sure how large your boil pot is, but consider the BIAB method. I am doing some really big beers this way - eight pounds of grains followed by four to six pounds of extract - with much success. Keeping the pot on the stove which is already heated and wrapping it in a blanket looses only a couple of degrees over the hour of mashing, I have found. Check out my Colorado Imperial Red Rye recipe if you like the rye brews, it is most excellent.

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4364 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
Were I to use 2 lbs of rye malt would 1 lb of 2 row (pale) be enough? I'm concerned with how much I'd be able to fit into a 2 gal cooler.
You should easily be able to fit 4 pounds of grain in a 2 gallon cooler. I'd use an equal amount of two-row as rye malt, to ensure complete conversion.

I'm not sure what you mean about not covering the grains. I meant to keep the cooler covered. The grains must be totally and completely stirred into the water, like oatmeal. If any grains are not totally immersed, then you have a problem.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
rodwha
Recipes 

My brew pot is 5 gal and I boil off about 1.2 gal/hr. But I can't get any more than 3.5 gals to boil, and it's typically not a good roiling boil as it's much bigger than the large burner.

I understood you on the covering (cooler), but was referring to the amount of water to grain ratio as I think I tried to follow the 2qt/lb ratio and it failed to completely submerge my grains.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:

I understood you on the covering (cooler), but was referring to the amount of water to grain ratio as I think I tried to follow the 2qt/lb ratio and it failed to completely submerge my grains.
Ah. Then you need to put them in the bag looser, or get another bag. You can use two bags, or even more, if you have to as to not stuff the grains in the bag. Keep the grains in the bag(s) very loose, so that they "swim" in the grain like they're not confined in a bag. Then stir the grains (in the bag) into the water, dunking them down and fully wetting them. And then leave them fully immersed for the entire mash time. Once they are thoroughly wetted (and if they aren't too tightly packed in the bag), they'll stay under the water level. If not, your MLT is too big for the amount of grains and water you're using.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #17
rodwha
Recipes 

Mine were tightly confined as I used a muslin bag.
But I have a BIAB type bag now.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #18
rodwha
Recipes 

1.5 lbs of each will give me 21% rye so if it ought to be able to handle 4 lbs then i figure 3 lbs leaves plenty of room for warm up water.
Thanks! You've helped me quite a bit along my little road!

Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
1.5 lbs of each will give me 21% rye so if it ought to be able to handle 4 lbs then i figure 3 lbs leaves plenty of room for warm up water.
Thanks! You've helped me quite a bit along my little road!
There's a cool "can I I mash it" calculator here: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Scroll down a bit, and use the calculator to see the max your two-gallon cooler will hold.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
rodwha
Recipes 

Great tool Yooper! Once again my hero!
According to it I could start off with ~2 qts/lb and still have nearly a pint/lb for heat up water in that 2 gal cooler.

Quick Reply