Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mini Mash Rye Pale Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default Mini Mash Rye Pale Help

I want to make a rye pale ale. I'm an extract brewer and tried a mini mash once using my 2 gal water cooler, which i learned didn't hold the temp well enough, though now I know to keep a better eye on it and be ready to add hot water. Maybe if it were more full it would hold the temp longer (~1/2 full).

If I were to make a 4.3 gal batch how much rye would I need? And does it need to mashed with malted barley?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
rodwha
Recipes 

I added some Weyermann's rye malt into the calculator and it came up as steeped. I thought rye had to be mashed?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 11-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
ssult1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Rye is supposed to be mashed. Just mix it with an equal amount of pale 2 row and mini mash to get the most out of the Rye.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
rodwha
Recipes 

Does it being labeled rye malt mean something else was done with it, that it's not just rye? I find it odd that it would come up defaulted steeped.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4949 Times on 3585 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
Does it being labeled rye malt mean something else was done with it, that it's not just rye? I find it odd that it would come up defaulted steeped.
No, rye malt is what you want. You can use flaked rye also, but it too must be mashed.

If you want to hold temperatures well in the cooler, make sure you preheat it with hot (180 degree) water and cover it for about 15 minutes. Then you won't lose any heat out of it.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
rodwha
Recipes 

I've had conflicting info on it. MoreBeer shows it needs to be mashed, but Home Brew Party said it can be steeped.

I had accidentally boiled the water I had preheated my cooler with and then used 165* water for the mash and found it in the 140's 30-45 mins later.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #7
rodwha
Recipes 

If I were to make a 4.3 gal batch would mashing 1 lb of rye and 1 lb of 2 row be enough to really get a rye flavor? I really loved the spicy punch the rye beer I tasted had.

I've seen everywhere from from 2qts to 1 1/4 gal per pound of grains. I'll need a little room in case I must add hot water.

I also figured using Mt Hood would go nicely with it. What say you?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #8
rodwha
Recipes 

"...and cover it for about 15 minutes."

I did not cover it. Hmmm...

Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4949 Times on 3585 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
If I were to make a 4.3 gal batch would mashing 1 lb of rye and 1 lb of 2 row be enough to really get a rye flavor? I really loved the spicy punch the rye beer I tasted had.

I've seen everywhere from from 2qts to 1 1/4 gal per pound of grains. I'll need a little room in case I must add hot water.

I also figured using Mt Hood would go nicely with it. What say you?
I like about 20% rye in a rye pale ale, to make the rye flavor present and noticeable without being over-the-top.

When you mash, you want to use 1.25-2 quarts of water per pound of grain. Start with 1.25 quarts/pound if you think you'll be adding more water.

Mt hood is nice with rye, but so are many American C-hops and I love my rye/amarillo pale ale as well!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #10
rodwha
Recipes 

I think I tried something like 2 qts/lb last time and failed to cover the grains. I'll have to look it up. But covering all of the grains is the most important, correct? Just enough to cover or a little more?

Quick Reply