Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Milling Grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 12:31 AM   #1
suhornet84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Milling Grain

My LHBS does not mill the grain you buy for you, so I was wondering what's the easiest way to do it myself (without buying a mill)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You'll have to buy a mill, it's really really hard to try to crush 10 pounds of grain with a rolling pin or a wine bottle and a ziplock bag, which is fine for a couple pounds of steeping grain bu to do godd all grains or partial mashes you will need a consistant crush of grain and you cant really do that to well by hand.....

But the good news is, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg, there are a couple cheap alternatives that work great.

Many folks have modified a 20 dollar pasta machine found at the art supply store to work great. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/usin...l-grain-75784/

And many folks, including Charlie Papazian are quite happy with the old Corona Style Corn and grain mill.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-u...station-90849/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-30-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
suhornet84
Recipes 

That's what I thought. For my last brew I used a pound of 10L to steep and used a bottle of pasta sauce to crush the grain in a zip lock bag, but is was a pain in the ass.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2135 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Corona mills are not that expensive. Many people use them to great effect. The nice thing is, for that small investment, you can start using BULK grain instead of buying a single kit worth.

50 lbs. of 2-row for $40?? Heck yeah! You will recoup your investment quickly. Uncrushed grain lasts for many many months in cool dry conditions so you are ready to brew whenever you want, instead of having to brew only when the LHBS is available. (important to me, where the LHBS is an hour and nearly a half away!)

Old 09-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
IXVolt

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I bet if you put a bug in the ear of your LHBS they would get a mill for grain. I've only been to 6 different homebrew stores, but everyone I've been in had a mill and was happy to grind for you.

+1 on grinding your own. It took me a while to buy a mill, but I'm glad I did.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I don't think I would open a homebrew store without a grain mill in it.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhornet84 View Post
My LHBS does not mill the grain you buy for you, so I was wondering what's the easiest way to do it myself (without buying a mill)?
Where do you live?

Since you have to buy a mill or some contraption anyhow, you can bypass the LHBS and go to a place like the Country Malt Group and get 2-Row for 55lbs at $27, Pilsner for 55lbs for $36. Your LHBS did you a favor

Buy in bulk, get a milling contraption and you are all set.

Quick Reply