Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Milky Star San

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4962 Times on 4525 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
......and plastic is not an oxygen brier.
So then by this we can take that 5 Star is full of idiots for packaging the product IN PLASTIC?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #12
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrabb22 View Post
2 tablespoons = 1 ounce. 1 tbsp would be good for 2.5 gal. Not nitpicking to be a jerk, trying to be economical. Two teaspoons would be a good measure for 1 gal as 1 teaspoon = 1/6 of an ounce and that's still a little over the recomended 1/5 of an ounce. Sorry to be such a geek.
Hey, no problem. I meant to write 1 TSP.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
borracho_brewer
Recipes 

I have super hard water and it turns cloudy in a matter of hours (overnight at least). The first time i used it though i didn't know that it may or may not be a problem and went ahead and used cloudy star san weeks after it had turned. I never tested the pH but I never got an infection so I'd have to agree that cloudy does not always mean useless.

That said, I've switched to just mixing a gallon batch with RO water from my drinking water system and storing it in a glass carboy (at the moment it's actually in a plastic water jug, all my glass jugs are full of stuff ) plus keeping a liter in a plastic spray bottle.

I think I usually use about 1.5 tsp per gallon, maybe a few drops less

Old 07-31-2009, 10:48 PM   #14
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4962 Times on 4525 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I mix up a 5 gallon batch a year. At this rate, my 32oz bottle will (theoretically) last 32 years.

I store the RO solution in a Culligan plastic carboy and for the first year I tsted the solution every time I opened the bottle and never saw a variation from the originaly mixed solution pH.

I also keep said plastic carboy in a non-heated 2 car garage that gets hot enough in the summer to condensate the inside of the carboy and cold enough in the winter to develope some top surface slushing. I always grab the carboy and shake to cause some foam. Despite these conditions, the pH still doesn't change.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:48 PM   #15
Brewin_CRAZY
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, I keep my starsan in a 4 gal bucket for a couple weeks and its still clear as day. I only change it depending on the pH or just the use, lots of use and ill change it just because it gets stuff in it. Could also be the container that you are storing it in, starsan is mildly corrosive, if you have a really weak container that could be the issue.

Bottled: DFH 120 Clone (Kicks your A$$)

"Brew happy, brew often, and always brew with friends." -Me
"I dont home brew because I'm poor, I'm poor because I home brew!!!" -Me

"If I ever leave this world alive ill be drinkin up in the sky, with you my friend by my side" RIP B.G.
And always remember friends "Do NOT set yourself on fire"

Old 09-04-2009, 03:08 AM   #16
knappster
Recipes 

I bought some ph strips at my local Friar Tuck's and a gallon of distilled water at Wal-Mart because I wanted to have some Star San that would actually last a while. When I first mixed it, the pH levels looked good, but it's only been a few days and it almost looks like the pH is over 4 now. I just left the mixture in the gallon jug that the water came in setting in my garage. Is there any reason that the distilled water mixture of star san would have a shelf life of less than a week? Could it be a problem with the strips?

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to mix up more solution every time I needed to take a sample, but this has not been very promising so far...

Quick Reply