Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > milky looking tubing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
yeoldebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default milky looking tubing

I soaked a length of 3/8" vinyl tubing in One Step for twenty four hours. The tubing now has a whitish hazy look.

Running a few gallons of rinse water through it, treating with vinegar and then rinsing again helped. But the tubing is still not "new" looking.

Is this stuff okay despite the haze? Should I soak it, use it or just toss it?

My airlock passes gas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
RedOctober
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will be watching this thread very closely. I always wanted to know the answer to this as well.

I was thinking of pushing a shotgun cleaning kit cotton patch thru the tube with a wooden dowl (push-rod).

I think it'll work, but I have yet to try it.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's scale, it happens quite often. It is similar to the stuff that accumulates on some bottles saked in oxyclean as well.

IIRC it's a reaction between the minerals in water you use, and the oxyclean.

See my blowoff tube"

It really is harmless. But you could try soaking/running them through some starsan, the acid in the sanitizer neutralizes some of the scale that the oxyclean causes. If you don't have starsan, you could try dilluting some white vinegar...of course you will have to rinse thoroughly to get the vinegar off.

My autosiphon tubing was like that for months before I replaced it, and the beer was fine.

As long as the tubing is clean and sanitized it will be fine despite what it looks like. If you replace the tubes, more than likely they will develop the scale too..

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Not to disagree with Revvy, who happens to be my mentor and hero </suckup> but I have experienced the same after extended soaking in StarSan too.
I don't know that it is scale as much as just a reaction in the tubing material itself. I have a length of clear vinyl tubing that has been used for nothing but fresh clean water. The areas where water has sat for a period of time has developed a whitish haze as well. So.... there may be different effects we are seeing that are producing similar results.
Regardless, if properly sanitized it should be fine either way.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 12-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I get the same thing after I forget it in the starsan, it's fine and normal.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Don't worry about it. I've had it in my siphon tubing for a while. I've tried oxy-clean, bleach, and star san, and it always comes back, and I've never had a problem with it.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #7
Mainebrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Alright, this might not be the answer but here it goes. I just had a new boat top done this year and it has new vynal clear windows, after I fished in the rain I rolled the windows up and put them away, not in the sun. My next trip out the windows were very cloudy and bot was I pi@#ed, my buddy told me to uroll them and leave them in the sun for a couple of days and within 2 days they were cleared up. Now I do not know if that will work for the tubing but its worth a try.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I THINK, and I'm only speculating, we may be describing two different things. My tubing physically feels rough in those patches, it's on the outside of the hose...You can run your finger over it and the hose feels normal until you get to those patches, and they feel rougher, almost like plaster, yet you can't scrape it off.

But either way, it doesn't seem to affect the beer, as long as you clean and sanitize the hoses before each use.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

it costs 18 cents a foot, i replace it when it gets like that.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Last edited by uglygoat; 12-03-2008 at 01:41 PM.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
Yambor44

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
Not to disagree with Revvy, who happens to be my mentor and hero </suckup> but I have experienced the same after extended soaking in StarSan too.
I don't know that it is scale as much as just a reaction in the tubing material itself. I have a length of clear vinyl tubing that has been used for nothing but fresh clean water. The areas where water has sat for a period of time has developed a whitish haze as well. So.... there may be different effects we are seeing that are producing similar results.
Regardless, if properly sanitized it should be fine either way.
Me too. Soaked mine for a few days and that happened to it. Never hurt anything as far as the beer goes.

Quick Reply