The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Milk Stout---Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
sojam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Milk Stout---Question

I just finished up making a milk stout -with malt extract recipe- and the recipe called for 1lb lactose powder to be added to the brewpot.

Now when I took my initial pre-fermentation gravity reading I got 1.09....

Does this mean I'll have a stout that is very high in alcohol content? Or is the lactose inflating my gravity reading?

Do I have to be worried about my the lid blowing off my fermenter (something I heard is prone to happen with high gravity beers)?

Please help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
lunchbox
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojam View Post
I just finished up making a milk stout -with malt extract recipe- and the recipe called for 1lb lactose powder to be added to the brewpot.

Now when I took my initial pre-fermentation gravity reading I got 1.09....

Does this mean I'll have a stout that is very high in alcohol content? Or is the lactose inflating my gravity reading?

Do I have to be worried about my the lid blowing off my fermenter (something I heard is prone to happen with high gravity beers)?

Please help!
I would say both. Is the 1.09 the corrected reading?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the lactose is mostly usfermentable, so it will add to the gravity which will add to the higher FG.

As far as the lid goes... good luck.

Last edited by lunchbox; 02-09-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: corrected for correctness

Old 02-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

No, lactose is unfermentable. Its in there to sweeten up the beer and keep a higher FG. So yes, your OG is "artifically inflated". I don't really remember how much gravity lactose contributes. A blowoff tube never hurts.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Quote:
Yes and yes. Even subtracting the lactose, you'll have an 8% beer. Very high for a milk stout and the alcohol flavor will probably dominate instead of the sweetness.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 02-09-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
FreeM80s
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

just curious: what was your recipe?

Old 02-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
JiveTurkey
Recipes 

Location: Corvallis (Heart of the [Willamette] Valley), Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Extract recipe? Partial boil? If yes to both, what was the calculated OG? Your measured OG may be inaccurate if the boiled wort and top-off water was not mixed completely (which is very common).

Aging for 1 Year: #1 LHBS Standard (Dry) Stout
In bottles: #2 Honing Wit (Belgian Wit Bier w/honey); #3 Be Hoppy, Not Bitter ("Oregon" Pale Ale: APA using Oregon-inspired ingredients and lots of late-addition/dry-hops); #4 American Red-Head (Irish Red made from American ingredients); #5 Student Power Orange Ale (Orange-hued amber ale for a wedding)
Primary: [n/a]
On deck: [Thinking about it]

Old 02-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

1 lb. of lactose in 5 gallons of wort will only give you 1.007 of unfermentable sugars. assuming you didn't add to much extract the high reading is probably due to wort stratification. the extract doesn't mix well with the water and sits on the bottom. so when you take a reading from wort at the bottom you get a false high reading. if this is the case then i would just throw out the reading and not bother calculating the ABV. still take SG readings to determine when fermentation is over.

next time cool the wort then whirlpool it like mad then let it sit covered for 10 minutes. this should mix your wort and extract good and give you a more accurate reading.

Last edited by TipsyDragon; 02-09-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #8
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Definitely suspect the partial boil issue. I'd also be interested to know what the recipe was...

Old 02-09-2010, 11:44 PM   #9
sojam
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
1 lb. of lactose in 5 gallons of wort will only give you 1.007 of unfermentable sugars. assuming you didn't add to much extract the high reading is probably due to wort stratification. the extract doesn't mix well with the water and sits on the bottom. so when you take a reading from wort at the bottom you get a false high reading. if this is the case then i would just throw out the reading and not bother calculating the ABV. still take SG readings to determine when fermentation is over.

next time cool the wort then whirlpool it like mad then let it sit covered for 10 minutes. this should mix your wort and extract good and give you a more accurate reading.
Thank you very much for the advice. I'm a rookie so I'll keep that in mind for next time!

The recipe was as follows:

5.5 lbs Munton Medium Malt Extract

0.6 lb Roasted Barley
0.6 lb Chocolate Malt
1.0 lb Extra Dark Crystal Malt

1 lb Lactose
300 ml (roughly 10oz) Molasses

60 grams (roughly 2 oz) Northern Brewer --60 minutes
30 grams (roughly 1 oz) Fuggles -- 30 minutes

Old 02-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #10
FreeM80s
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojam View Post
Thank you very much for the advice. I'm a rookie so I'll keep that in mind for next time!

The recipe was as follows:

5.5 lbs Munton Medium Malt Extract

0.6 lb Roasted Barley
0.6 lb Chocolate Malt
1.0 lb Extra Dark Crystal Malt

1 lb Lactose
300 ml (roughly 10oz) Molasses

60 grams (roughly 2 oz) Northern Brewer --60 minutes
30 grams (roughly 1 oz) Fuggles -- 30 minutes
I plugged all that into my brew software and it says you should be around 1.071 o.g. ; looking for around 1.017 F.G. , abv 7.0 and 68 IBU's. this may not be 100% accurate, but it should give you a good bearing

Quick Reply