*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mild BMC Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default Mild BMC Ale

Working on a mild BMC ale for those that didn't care for my blonde.

I'm trying to keep the IBU's between 10-15. Working with 1 oz of mild hops I figured I'd use 1/2 for bittering. Should I break the other half into flavoring and aroma or ditch the aroma? Or a 10 min addition instead? Kinda something in-between?

Does rice DME help "tame" it?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

use Rice and Corn and one bittering addition is fine.

Check out this recipe

I made 150 bottles of this for my brothers wedding and it was all gone in 3 hours at the reception and everyone loved it, especially the BMC drinkers!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 12-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
rodwha
Recipes 

I haven't had good luck with the one mini mash I did, though I'll be trying again with rye.
Is there a corn extract version?
Did you do the 90 min boil?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 12-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
I haven't had good luck with the one mini mash I did, though I'll be trying again with rye.
Is there a corn extract version?
Did you do the 90 min boil?

If you read the first few pages of that huge recipe thread they have converted it to extract version. Its only about 15-20% corn.

Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
rodwha
Recipes 

For those that really like light BMC is using rice DME almost a need? Does it help subdue the great taste of beer that they aren't used to?

Old 12-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
For those that really like light BMC is using rice DME almost a need? Does it help subdue the great taste of beer that they aren't used to?
From my understanding of it, rice and corn help to lighten the body while contributing to both taste and alcohol production. You can make a nice BMC like ale using nothing but pale malt but it will be a bit heavier than using corn or rice adjuncts.

Quick Reply