Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Midwest Wheat extract kits - Off flavors?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
somelikeithoppy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Midwest Wheat extract kits - Off flavors?

Some friends and I brewed a few batches of beer using some kits from midwest. Two of them were wheat kits. One a Belgian style wheat and the other a honey wheat. Both came w/ the same 6lbs wheat LME. We bottled the other night after 2 weeks in primary. Both fermented wonderfully, but had a weird smell to them. These were our first wheat beers. We've been doing more heavy IPA style beers more recently.

When we took the gravity reading and did the obligatory tasting at bottling time, both beers had a smokey-ham flavor to them. It was somewhat strong. We've got a dozen or so beers under our belt, and haven't had any contamination problems. We're science geeks, so the aseptic technique isn't a problem. Both beers were kept out of the sunlight. This may be an off flavor that goes away after a few weeks in the bottles, but I'm a little concerned. The only common denominator between the two beers was the Wheat LME from midwest supplies. The third beer we brewed that night tasted fine. It was a lighter beer w/ some rice sugar and tasted very clean. Anyone had any problems w/ LME form midwest or had similar experiences?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've just broken into my Honey Weizen that I got from MWS. Can't say it has any off flavors other than the intentional esters and phenols. Got some great reviews at the poker game last night.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on mine.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 05-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
sonetlumiere85
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What kind of yeast are you using? Many "wheat" yeasts can be very expressive, flavor-wise, at certain temperatures and whatnot.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
somelikeithoppy
Recipes 

One of the yeast packs was a wyeast activator "bavarian wheat". The other was also an activator, I think american wheat? It was a general wheat, can't remember the variety.

I was just reading that fatty/meaty flavors can be due to yeast fermentation of the trub if it sits on it too long. These just sat for two weeks though?

Old 06-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

FWIW - I used the Danstar dry yeast for my batch. Nothing complicated...didn't even rehydrate it. Just sprinkled over the cooled wort and it was off and running 8hrs later.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on mine.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 06-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
jolleyphoto
Recipes 

When I brew a kit (from the Beer Nut) I always upgrade my yeast to White Lab Liquid and have never had any off flavors. I also keep my beer on primary for approximately 10 to 12 days or until my SG reading has hit what I want. I then rack into my carboy for one week. Hope this helps.

On deck IPA
Primary: APA
Secondary:
Drinking: Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Orange Honey Wheat, IPA

De`ja`-Brew
We have all been beer before.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
somelikeithoppy
Recipes 

I've used a lot of their activator packs in the past w/ no problems. A few American Ale I and lots of American Ale II.

Quick Reply