Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Midwest supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
vogtenstein222
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Default Midwest supplies

Has anyone ever used the Midwest supplies brewing starter plus kit?
I'm preparing to do my first brew and have been researching lots of different kits and this one seems like the best bang for the buck, but....mr. Beer seems like a good idea too if you want to make a batch of off tasting coors lite.
Here's a link to the item in question:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewi...-plus-kit.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
masterfool101
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Many of us started with this kit. It has just about everything you need. You might wan to add a few things, like some sanitizer (one step is not sanitizer - get some iodophor or star san). Also, a longer stir paddle, so you don't just use a wooden spoon. A hydrometer test tube. A wine thief (a turkey baste will work in a pinch).

But even without those items you can brew beer.

Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
vogtenstein222
Recipes 

That's great news and I appreciate the forward about the couple of extra accessories. I'm looking at buying that kit along with the northern brewer brewing essentials gravity test kit. Basically I'm starting on a $200 budget (it's all my wife would allow) but once I prove to her I can do this she said I could start spending more on it.
Would you recommend a wood stir paddle or a stainless?

Old 12-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
estricklin
Certified Guitar Pickin' Hop Slingin' Crazy Homebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 164

It seems like a good kit, but I still recomend the Monster Brew one to everybody. Saying that though, I order pretty much all my supplies from Midwest. I hate those white lids from midwest!!

You know that's actually a really good pirce on that kit....

Old 12-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 958 Times on 799 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Since I already had a nice 5 gallon pot and a bunch of bottles I bought the basic kit. It got me started and I still have most of it (I broke the hydrometer) but as I learned more about brewing I've added some things. Once I learned that I enjoy the process and wanted to brew more often without rushing my beer I started adding fermenters and I bought an autosiphon to make racking beer to the bottling bucket easier.

I also added a plastic secondary. That was a mistake. I've used it twice to secondary with fruit, twice for another primary and the rest of the time it sits in the corner taking up space and collecting dust. What I'm trying to say is that the nice carboy will be nearly useless. I learned that a long primary gets me clear beer and I can dry hop in the primary too with good results. Having seen the pictures of what can happen when you drop a carboy, I'd never want a glass carboy in my house. The emergency room is just too far away for me to risk the injury.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Since I already had a nice 5 gallon pot and a bunch of bottles I bought the basic kit. It got me started and I still have most of it (I broke the hydrometer) but as I learned more about brewing I've added some things. Once I learned that I enjoy the process and wanted to brew more often without rushing my beer I started adding fermenters and I bought an autosiphon to make racking beer to the bottling bucket easier.

I also added a plastic secondary. That was a mistake. I've used it twice to secondary with fruit, twice for another primary and the rest of the time it sits in the corner taking up space and collecting dust. What I'm trying to say is that the nice carboy will be nearly useless. I learned that a long primary gets me clear beer and I can dry hop in the primary too with good results. Having seen the pictures of what can happen when you drop a carboy, I'd never want a glass carboy in my house. The emergency room is just too far away for me to risk the injury.
I agree about the carboy for sure, I don't mess with e'm. If I need to secondary I can do it in a bucket.

OP, you might want to add an extra lid and airlock to that order, it will help you brew 2 beers at once with your setup and it won't cost much more at all.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #7
vogtenstein222
Recipes 

So true rookie post but, basically a carboy really isn't necessary at all? I can just do this all with the buckets?

Old 12-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
scottab
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Any basic kit will work. I started with a true brew kit. The brewers best kit is good too, even though many would say a carboy is unnecessary and that using a secondary doesn't matter i have had nice results doing the typical 1,2,3, 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 weeks bottle. If you do get the carboy go with the better bottle, much lighter and you don't have to worry about breaking a glass bottle

Old 12-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #9
lstewartff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterfool101 View Post
Many of us started with this kit. It has just about everything you need. You might wan to add a few things, like some sanitizer (one step is not sanitizer - get some iodophor or star san). Also, a longer stir paddle, so you don't just use a wooden spoon. A hydrometer test tube. A wine thief (a turkey baste will work in a pinch).

But even without those items you can brew beer.
One step is a cleaner/sanitizer. It just has to have a long contact time.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #10
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Truth be told a 5 gallon pot isn't big enough either. A cheap turkey pot works great.

Quick Reply