Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Midwest Irish Red fermintation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
Eamster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Midwest Irish Red fermintation?

Since I am new to brewing I have a quick question. I am brewing the Irish Red from Midwest and it only has shown signs of fermentation in airlock for 1.5 days. Is this common?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
CarboyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Welcome to the hobby! My first was their Autumn Amber, and it was delicious.

Airlock activity is an unreliable indication of the start and end of fermentation. Many people around here including me will tell you not to worry about it, and take a gravity reading after a couple weeks. If you have two identical readings within three days, fermentation is complete, and you can move on to the next step in your process.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
mcbrown
Recipes 

I'll be brewing up the same Red Ale from Midwest very soon...I hope in the next week. I'll keep an eye on this post for sure, as well as maybe we can share our results. This will be my first batch ever as well.

Cheers!

Old 08-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
Eamster
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Here some pics of the current brew. The FG ended up being 1.016. I was hoping for lower but I will take what I can get. My wort temp may have been a bit to high at pitching. Let me know what you think. Since I am new to this let me know if this looks normal : ) hopefully so.

image-577785064.jpg   image-1454098698.jpg  

Old 08-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
robertus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamster View Post
Here some pics of the current brew. The FG ended up being 1.016. I was hoping for lower but I will take what I can get. My wort temp may have been a bit to high at pitching. Let me know what you think. Since I am new to this let me know if this looks normal : ) hopefully so.
I'm still relatively green, but that looks like a perfectly cromulent beer.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:14 AM   #6
revansCAAD8
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 161

I'm sure your is fine... I too have Midwest's Irish Red in the fermentor right now! However, I created a starter using WYeast 1084 (Irish Ale yeast) and got bubbles within 3hrs and lasted a good 3 days.

PS what was you OG reading? Mine was 1.052 but I also crushed my grains (if that makes any difference) and did a full 5.5gal boil.

Let us know how it turns out!

Robert

Old 08-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
Eamster
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Not sure what the OG was. The wort was very foamy at the top after I topped it off so I couldn't get a good reading. I need to get a thief so I can get more accurate readings.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
JimmytheGeek
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamster View Post
Since I am new to brewing I have a quick question. I am brewing the Irish Red from Midwest and it only has shown signs of fermentation in airlock for 1.5 days. Is this common?
Very common! In fact, the Miller Lite "clone" I just brewed showed absolutely NO activity in the airlock. My OG was 1.040 and it finished at 1.000, giving me a 5.3% ABV. How did it finish out? Amalase Enzyme. I'm on a low-carb diet, and will only have 4.2 g in each bottle.

I've also had other batches do little to no activity and since I got out of the Mr. Beer kits some 5 years ago, I've never brewed a batch below 4.8%. So as you can see, airlocks are quite unreliable as indicators of the final product, and is especially dependent on what you use in your airlock. The thinner stuff like water & vodka will tend to show more activity than something like glycerin, which is what I use most of the time.

"Relax. Don't worry, have a homebrew!" -- Charlie Papazian

Old 08-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
janson745
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Glad to see some other beginners out here. Yesterday was my first ever Brew Day and I, too, was using the Midwest Irish Red. A full 5.5 gallon boil, using a turkey fryer. Man was it a nice day to start this amazing hobby/addiction. My OG reading was 1.042 and the only hiccup I found was the cooling process... I used an ice bath, but (obviously) the hot pot melted the ice in the water very quickly and I had only bought 20 lbs of ice to go into the bath, thinking this was enough. I was wrong. So total cool down time was bout 30 minutes.

I finished about 2:30 yesterday afternoon and this morning as I checked on my new baby, there was some substantial bubbling going on in the airlock. And I know that this is not the only way to see or know whats going on, but it makes me happy to see that I might have actually done it right

I gotta hand it to you guys on here, without reading the posts for the last 2 weeks, I would not have been so comfortable in my first Brew Day. Gotta say I will be back! Already planning #2.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
TBaGZ
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Looks familiar..

My fermentation was very quick and non eventful as well.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS