Midwest Groupon is back! (05-APR-2012)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The embarrassment of making a bacon flavored lager"

If I made that, it would be the crowning achievement thus far in life!

This groupon deal was what got me into 5 gallon batches. I had gotten a mr. beer and did a couple of batches. Saw the groupon deal and snatched it up. I brewed my 2nd kit with it last night. Hard to beat, when you get the starter kit, a recipe kit, and a 25$ gift certificate.

Is this Groupon JUST for the kit or can you use money on other stuff? I think it's just for the kit. I clicked "Ask a Question" and asked this but nothing back so far.

Of course this pops up a week after I ordered almost that exact setup (minus the capper and bottle brush, which I already had) from Midwest! Hah. Just my luck.

Is this Groupon JUST for the kit or can you use money on other stuff? I think it's just for the kit. I clicked "Ask a Question" and asked this but nothing back so far.

With the groupon, you get the beer making kit and a recipe kit along with a $25 gift certificate can be used for anything. You don't have to use the gift certificate on a recipe kit.

With the groupon, you get the beer making kit and a recipe kit along with a $25 gift certificate can be used for anything. You don't have to use it on a recipe kit.

Thanks. I'll check out the kit because if it includes bits and pieces I need more of it will be a good deal. I'm just concerned about getting more than I need......which seems ridiculous to me right now since I am buying more stuff on a weekly basis. This brewing business is addictive and I haven't even really got started (drinking) yet! Just a couple of samples of my first batch which I bottled 4 weeks ago. Not the BEST beer I've ever drank but not toilet water either. :D

Thanks. I'll check out the kit because if it includes bits and pieces I need more of it will be a good deal. I'm just concerned about getting more than I need......which seems ridiculous to me right now since I am buying more stuff on a weekly basis. This brewing business is addictive and I haven't even really got started (drinking) yet! Just a couple of samples of my first batch which I bottled 4 weeks ago. Not the BEST beer I've ever drank but not toilet water either. :D

Haha, definitely addicting and I'm ashamed to admit that between mr. beer and 5 gallon batches, I have 16 gallons fermenting and conditioning, and I have drank exactly one beer so far.

With the groupon, you get the beer making kit and a recipe kit along with a $25 gift certificate can be used for anything. You don't have to use the gift certificate on a recipe kit.

I ordered this same deal a few months ago. I've not redeemed the $25 coupon yet but my coupon specifically states that it is to be used for recipe kits only. The video says, "we'll also send you a $25 gift certificate that you can use that you can use on a future kit purchase".
Now, I've never tried to order something other than a kit and use the coupon code so it's possible that it will work but just so there's no confusion, unless things have changed, the $25 is only good toward a kit.

Beer-lord said:
I ordered this same deal a few months ago. I've not redeemed the $25 coupon yet but my coupon specifically states that it is to be used for recipe kits only. The video says, "we'll also send you a $25 gift certificate that you can use that you can use on a future kit purchase".
Now, I've never tried to order something other than a kit and use the coupon code so it's possible that it will work but just so there's no confusion, unless things have changed, the $25 is only good toward a kit.

I ordered my rhizomes with my coupon

Haha, definitely addicting and I'm ashamed to admit that between mr. beer and 5 gallon batches, I have 16 gallons fermenting and conditioning, and I have drank exactly one beer so far.

Haha! You sound like me.

I have :
5g of Mexican Cerveza fermenting (almost 2 weeks in freezer at 50*)
5g of Newcastle Brown Ale clone fermenting (just over 2 weeks)
5g of Smithwicks close fermenting (just under 2 weeks)
5g of Old Peculiar (sic) clone fermenting (just brewed yesterdy)

And I have bottled :
light ale (the one that came with my intro kit) - this is what I have drank so far.
headcracker IPA (out of the can stuff my wife got me)
Blue Devil HGB

I know a few people who have used the gift certificate for items other than recipe kits. They do make it sound like you have to use it towards a kit, but that isn't the case.

I ordered this kit and that is what got me into 5 gallon batches. Just started my first 5gal batch doing the irish red. Still itching to spend my $25 gift card! Also, I like the bottle opener the included, fits in my wallet.

From Midwest :

Q: Is this Groupon *just* for the starter kit or can people who already have their own equipment use this Groupon to buy other things like different equipment, ingredients, etc.?

A: Thanks for the question!

Unfortunately, this Groupon is valid only for the option purchased.

That is absolutely awesome! You are sort of a beer survivalist waiting for the bird flu or zombie apocolypse. When the day comes, please let me know where you live so I can raid the stash.

When ordering this has anyone ever tried to upgrade their brew kit to the $99 starter kit which comes with the added 5 gallon carboy and autosiphon which are well worth the $35 difference between the "starter" vs. "basic" kit?

Back