Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mid-brew... hop bag floating?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
jajabee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mid-brew... hop bag floating?

I'm 10 minutes into a boil, first time using a paint strainer bag (5 gallons) suspended over the boil kettle. I threw like 8 SS spoons in there, which keep part of the bag sunk into the wort, in a kind of circle shape. In the middle of the circle is a big "bubble" of gas from the boil, pushing up on the bag. Is this normal? Is there anything else I can do to get the bag to stay down, and get the hops into more contact? Should I be stirring constantly?

Thanks!

Carboys: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Caramel Cream Ale, Edwort's Hefeweizen, Rhubarb Wheat, Hoppy Belgian Sour, Pumpkin Ale (infected, RIP), Caramel Cream #2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Is it a fine mesh bag? That could be why the bubble is forming.

It should be fine. Take a stir spoon and sink the bag every once in a while when you stir. I usually put my hops loosely in a hop sock that just sort of floats about in the pot and I sink it from time to time with my stir spoon.

Remember just above the wort the steam coming off the wort is even hotter than the wort and that will be steaming all the hop goodness as well which will work back into the kettle.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 05-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
jajabee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok cool, all set! I poked it down occasionally, and it seems to have turned out fine, the wort is extremely hoppy. I only got 4 gallons out cause my dip tube needs improvement, but I think those 4 gallons will be pretty good! Thanks for the help!

Carboys: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Caramel Cream Ale, Edwort's Hefeweizen, Rhubarb Wheat, Hoppy Belgian Sour, Pumpkin Ale (infected, RIP), Caramel Cream #2

Old 05-28-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Glad it worked out.

Couldn't you just dump the rest of the wort out of the kettle? You will end up with some more solids that way, but they'll mostly settle out in the trub.

Also if the lower volume is due to boiloff and you have a heavy gravity you can top off with some distilled or pre-boiled water to get your volume up. You just need to make sure you don't water the gravity down to much.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Quick Reply