The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > metalic after taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
strider
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default metalic after taste

I just popped a sample of my porter tonight (going on 4 weeks in bottle) and i'm getting a slight metallic after taste. I actually just got the same thing a few nights ago with a commercial brew. Someone bought michalob Dunkelweizen and I tried it. Same metallic after taste. Anyone know what causes this?
Thanks
-John

Primary 1: Palace Bitter
Primary 2: BC Rouge Dead Guy Clone
Primary 3: Hefeweizen
Secondary 1: Traditional Mead
Secondary 2: Toasty Palace ESB
Bottle Con: Goats Heavy Scrotum Porter
Bottled: Nothing:(
Next: APA or Irish Red

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
reim0027
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Did you use an extract? My first 3 extracts had a twang to them too. I was told the twang was from caramelization of the extract. So, for my current brew, I saved 3/4 of the extract for the end of the boil to avoid that caramelization.

Maybe someone else has a better reason, or can correct me if I am wrong.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:15 AM   #3
strider
Recipes 

Ya, it was a dry DME and before I switched to Late extract. Also used molasses though. I suppose that could have sunk and burned. Can't remember if I remembered to turn the flame off for it either. Could be

Primary 1: Palace Bitter
Primary 2: BC Rouge Dead Guy Clone
Primary 3: Hefeweizen
Secondary 1: Traditional Mead
Secondary 2: Toasty Palace ESB
Bottle Con: Goats Heavy Scrotum Porter
Bottled: Nothing:(
Next: APA or Irish Red

Old 01-30-2009, 01:54 AM   #4
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have had it twice - one with a Nutty Maple which I am sure did it. It fades after a month or two.

Both batches seemed to be over carbed which will do it also. People blame LME but I don't think this is a realistic problem 99.9% of the time. if it was people would not use LME as much.

If the LME is not VERY VERY old and is a late edition I can not see it being a problem.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:54 AM   #5
kendrid
Recipes 

If you google "metallica beer taste" you will find a lot of info, such as:

According to "How to Brew"

Metallic
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

The protective (grayish) oxides of aluminum can be enhanced by heating the clean pot in a dry oven at 250°F for about 6 hours.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
jharres
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrid View Post
If you google "metallica beer taste" you will find a lot of info
Haha, Metallica beer taste.... reminds me of that video making fun of Metallica for their stance on napster....Beer good, napster baaaad....

Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer
Bottled: Beer
Drinking: Beer

Last edited by jharres; 01-30-2009 at 02:16 AM.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:58 AM   #7
kendrid
Recipes 

That was quite funny. I just saw Metallica this past week and must still have them on the brain...

Old 01-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think they had to put that section into How to Brew because of the 0.01% of the time people get it.

That is one theory. There are many other ways to get it IF it is a problem. I'm a fan of Palmer but in interviews he said there is not ONE reason. Plus - one persons taste of metallic might not be like anothers.

I normally get it with over carbing OR just green beer and it has always gone away. (twice)

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
TampaTim
Recipes 

I had a metallic taste show up in an All Grain batch last week.

It was fine while green. Fine one week into the bottle conditioning process.

It showed up somewhere around the second week of carbing. Tonight is week three, and I have a sixer in the fridge since Wednesday.

Hopefully it will have went away.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This question pops up every now and then. Typically, the OP cannot link his process to anything that would have introduced metals into their beer.

A brewer told me that certain hops can take on a metallic flavour under certain circumstances, but he admitted that he didn't know the details. I have also heard Jamil Z. mention the same thing, too, on one of his podcasts. I suspect it is a hard thing to pin down because it seems to be an off-flavour that appears at random and then doesn't reappear again for a long time. My BIL had the same thing happen to him -- but in a recipe that he brews over and over again, and he absolutely couldn't link it to anything specific that he did differently (it was actually the same recipe that later won him an MCAB silver medal, so go figure).

Quick Reply