Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Metal Tasting Honey Blonde Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 03:52 AM   #1
gonzos01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Metal Tasting Honey Blonde Ale

This is my first batch and I hope I can find some help. Today marks exactly 4 weeks since I brewed this batch. Put it in the frig this afternoon and gave it a few hours to cool. Opened my first home brew bottle and it has a really strong metallic taste to it. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Mind you half way through the glass it gets better. Any comments would help. Thanks. On a side note it was in primary for 2 weeks and bottled for another 2 weeks. After reading the threads I am hoping it will get better with age.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 04:06 AM   #2
gonzos01
Recipes 

[QUOTE="gonzos01"]This is my first batch and I hope I can find some help. Today marks exactly 4 weeks since I brewed this batch. Put it in the frig this afternoon and gave it a few hours to cool. Opened my first home brew bottle and it has a really strong metallic taste to it. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Mind you half way through the glass it gets better. Any comments would help. Thanks. On a side note it was in primary for 2 weeks and bottled for another 2 weeks. After reading the threads I am hoping it will get better with age. I guess I am getting immune to the taste half way through.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
hector
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wort being boiled in unprocessed Metals , mainly iron , but also aluminium , and steel ( excluding stainless ) is usually the source of metallic flavors .

Metallic flavors can also be extracted from metal brewing equipment , bottle caps and/or kegs .

Using Water that has high levels of iron will impart iron flavors .

Avoid using iron for anything that will be coming in contact with Beer/Wort .

If using a ceramic coated steel Pot , always check for cracks or scratches before using .

Aluminium Pots will generally only cause metallic flavors when using Alkaline Water with a pH over 9 .

Avoid using unfiltered well Water which has high levels of iron .

Besides , I would dissolve a little of the Honey in a glass of Water ( the Water you used for brewing ) and taste it to see

if there is any detectable iron flavor .

If you used Honey as an Adjunct , did you add it near the end of the boiling ?

I've heard also that some Chemicals are sometimes added to Honey to pasteurize it . Perhaps These Chemicals have an effect on tasting .

Hector

Quick Reply