Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Messed up my IPA- not enough priming sugar??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
milo_leon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default Messed up my IPA- not enough priming sugar??

Hello all-

I recently made a Extract 115th Dream Hopbursted Imperial IPA from Northern Brewers. This is my second batch, and I was fairly confident in my budding skills since my first batch (Extract Breakfast Stout from Austin Homebrew) was delicious!

Unfortunately, it is a hot mess. It barely has any carbonation (my friend said it's very flat, like fruit juice), smells a bit weird (not much of a hop aroma), and tastes like crap. I am wondering what I did wrong could mess this beer up. I have several hypothesis but my main theory is not enough priming sugar:

1. Not enough priming sugar. I did not add the full 5 oz pouch that came with the kit because the instructions said to pour in 2/3 cup of priming sugar (which was less than the 5 oz pouch I had).
  2. Possible unstable fermentation temp? My first batch was fermented in my closet which is fairly dark and cool. This batch I tucked it away in the corner of my bedroom because my bedroom is usually colder than the rest of the apartment, so my fermentation temp was around 66-70 degrees. I do wonder if any exposure to sunlight in my bedroom altered the fermentation process? There was also a few times where we left the AC off (to open the windows and get fresh air) and the beer rose above 70 degrees, how would this impact fermentation?
  3. Accidental oxidation? While I was transferring from primary to the bottling bucket, somehow the end of the siphon hose rose above the beer, creating a mini foundation of beer and causing some splashing. This probably lasted like 10 seconds so I am wondering if this introduced enough oxygen to cause oxidation?
  4. This batch is also the first time I used a strainer for the pour to fermentation bucket. There was so much hop material that I had to empty the strainer three times. I did clean and sanitize the strainer with starsan, but would this somehow introduce infective elements to my beer prior to fermentation?
  5. I included a picture of the beer, and it does not even look like an IPA. Barely any head even with an agressive pour. Am wondering if I did anything wrong with the cooking process? I followed the instructions to a T, and added the hopburst blend of hops at 15 min, 10 min, 5 min, and flameout.
  6. All of the above?

Would appreciate your feedback on this!
img_0531.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
adamdillabo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I didn't read all of it sorry.

How long in bottle?

Was the first hop addition at 15 mins?

Old 06-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #3
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

1. Not enough priming sugar. I did not add the full 5 oz pouch that came with the kit because the instructions said to pour in 2/3 cup of priming sugar (which was less than the 5 oz pouch I had).
This could be why you have little carbonation. Different beers have different amounts of carbonation. Also, the amount of priming sugar you add varies based on the temperature of the beer.

Possible unstable fermentation temp? My first batch was fermented in my closet which is fairly dark and cool. This batch I tucked it away in the corner of my bedroom because my bedroom is usually colder than the rest of the apartment, so my fermentation temp was around 66-70 degrees. I do wonder if any exposure to sunlight in my bedroom altered the fermentation process? There was also a few times where we left the AC off (to open the windows and get fresh air) and the beer rose above 70 degrees, how would this impact fermentation?
What are you fermenting in and what yeast did you use. Most ales will do just fine within that temperature range but once you get over 70 you risk off flavors.

Accidental oxidation? While I was transferring from primary to the bottling bucket, somehow the end of the siphon hose rose above the beer, creating a mini foundation of beer and causing some splashing. This probably lasted like 10 seconds so I am wondering if this introduced enough oxygen to cause oxidation?
IMO I do not think this would be enough to cause a significant amount of oxidation.

This batch is also the first time I used a strainer for the pour to fermentation bucket. There was so much hop material that I had to empty the strainer three times. I did clean and sanitize the strainer with starsan, but would this somehow introduce infective elements to my beer prior to fermentation?
Also, IMO I don't think this would be the problem. I have done this several times to help aerate the beer before pitching the yeast.

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Bottled - HipHOPapotamus IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - Looking for good Brown or Stout

Old 06-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #4
milo_leon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdillabo View Post
I didn't read all of it sorry.

How long in bottle?

Was the first hop addition at 15 mins?
full hop schedule was 2 oz cluster hops at 60 and 30, then 3 oz hopburst blend at 15, 10, 5, and flameout.

been in bottle for 3 weeks.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:27 AM   #5
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 248 Posts

Keep in mind that high ABV beers often take longer to bottle carb than low ABV beers. Think 4 weeks instead of two for a minimum. Could certainly be longer though.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
milo_leon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
Keep in mind that high ABV beers often take longer to bottle carb than low ABV beers. Think 4 weeks instead of two for a minimum. Could certainly be longer though.
that reminds me- OG was ~1.080 and FG was ~1.020

Old 06-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
eric_618
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The priming sugar would have little to no impact on flavor, only carbonation. Let it sit a bit longer and your carb amounts should come around.

I don't see anything to suggest a huge mistake that would affect flavor. Are you sure you sanitized correctly?

Total n00b. Please be gentle :)

Old 06-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default 115th dream

I did the all grain version in bottles too and was very dissapointed in the beer taste. Being a hop head, I was expecting eurphoria and did not get close. maybe its actually the recipe or just us. BTW, I know my brewing skills are fairly good.

Sheldon

Old 06-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo_leon

that reminds me- OG was ~1.080 and FG was ~1.020
That's nothing astronomical, but it is high gravity. I would expect that to take at least an extra week in the bottle to carb up vs. a 1.050 beer. Give it a little more time, then give it a good 2-3 days in the fridge. Then take it out, let it warm just a little, and pour into a glass. Until you do all that, you won't really know what the true flavor is.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
milo_leon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by histo320 View Post
What are you fermenting in and what yeast did you use. Most ales will do just fine within that temperature range but once you get over 70 you risk off flavors.[/COLOR]
I was fermenting in a Austin Homebrew plastic bucket, using US-05 yeast.

Quick Reply