New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Messed up! am i screwed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
Dave37
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 379 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Messed up! am i screwed?

Ok so I just learned first hand to always take your blow off tube out of your water/starsan solution BEFORE you open up your spigot and rack into your secondary fermenter!

I just finished doing my first dryhop and as i was racking my beer into my carboy with the fresh hops from my HDPE 6.5 gallon primary, about 15 seconds into it i hear a huge slurping noise and in a flash I see all of my water/starsan (about 12-16oz) being sucked into my fermenter!

After about a 5 minute rant to myself cursing and yelling i finished racking into my carboy put my airlock in and ran to the computer to get some input about how much this can potentially harm my finished product. (off flavors, and worse infection) this was the 11 day mark into fermenting and that means my water/starsan solution was exposed to the elements and open air in my basement for 11 days. How bad can this potentially be? I can say that my basement is a cool dry location with very little dust and debris generally.

Anyway just looking for some insight about this particular situation. Maybe some of you have done the same stupid thing which would make me feel a little better and more importantly if you can give me an idea of what i can expect from the new special starsan addition i did at the 11 day mark

In the mean time i will try to RDWHAHB. Cheers and thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
bombcar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Starsan isn't harmful to you, but it may be enough to ensure that your secondary doesn't have ANY fermentation going on. I'd let it sit and see what happens.

Write it down. Maybe starsan is the magic ingredient.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
csmurdock
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well never happen to me but but starsan solution is probably the best thing you can suck into your fermenter. It's sterile as it is a sanitizer and it should add no off flavors by its design

Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 12

It happened to me few months ago, ~10oz of disinfection solution finished in fermentor and it turned out fine, no signs of off flavors.
Good thing is that chloride enhances mouthfeel.

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Old 12-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
Dave37
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 379 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice and info. Looks like ill find out what the finished product is like in a couple weeks. Thanks again.

Quick Reply