Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Messed it up!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
Bonden3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

@ Schol: not much of that gear available i Denmark. but I will definitely go for a part boil kit once i get this right. i need a succes to move on

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonden3000 View Post
Second fermentation? i only have one bucket.
do not worry about secondary, you don't need to do it. 3 weeks in the fermenter (primary), then 21 days in the bottle.

Quote:
I think I´ve read somewhere that you could replace the enhancer with plain sugar?
i'm not familiar with these kits, but sugar only adds alcohol to a beer. i suspect that this "enhancer" is doing the same. if you have a homebrew supply shop nearby (or order online), try adding some malt extract instead. that will provide beer flavor, instead of just pure alcohol.

Quote:
My temp. was 21C (from denmark, sorry)
21C = 70F. was that 21C air temperature, or were you able to measure the beer's actual temperature? beer produces heat as it ferments, so while the air might have been 21 the beer was likely several degrees warmer. 19 is a good temperature to aim for (for the beer). do a search on this forum for "swamp cooler" - a good cheap way to lower the temp of your fermenter a few degrees.

Drinking: citra saison
Fermenting: a hop-bursted APA w/ Conan, a citra farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend.
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
stinkmuis
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 78

just keep the bottles for 3 to 4 weeks on room temps, part of the fruity smell and taste wil fade out. 1 week of conditioning, and 2 week in the cooler is to short and to low temps for the yeast to clean up after the fermentationparty

Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #14
Bonden3000
Recipes 

i still have a few of the spoiled bottles i the fridge in the shack. its been about 7 weeks since i bottled it. any chance its gone good?

i wasn´t able to meassure the "beer" itself. but the sticky thermometer said 21-22C.

2 x 3 weeks it is.

and when the yeast has stopped foaming and the brew is nice and quit after a few day, i remove the krausen collar? and then i leave it?

Old 03-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #15
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1846 Times on 1628 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

Quote:

I think I´ve read somewhere that you could replace the enhancer with plain sugar?

i used the yeast from the kit

@union: I´m not ready to experiment just yet. i really need to get this right. Do you have second fermentation.

@MX1: 21 days at each step. sound easy. But it is definitely not what the box is saying
I don't use a secondary unless I'm oaking or something that's best done off the yeast. Otherwise,I leave it in primary till it's cleared up or slightly misty. Cooper's kits work well with the primary only method. I even dry hop in primary when the beer clears up for 7 days.
21c=69.8F,so that's not bad,but 18-20C would be better. 21 days equals 3 weeks. 3 weeks in primary & 3 weeks in the bottles @ 70.16F (21.2C),70F being normal carbonation & conditioning temp here. Then at least 1 week in the fridge to get co2 into solution & decent head/carbonation in the glass. This also gives time for any chill haze to settle out.

Last edited by unionrdr; 03-19-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: corrected wrong term...

Old 03-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #16
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 62

http://www.brouwland.com/

Look here, not sure how muc shipping will be. I just moved from Belgium, and these are the guys i used a lot.

Can you share a link to the equipment you are using, was it a starter kit? ANd they are right, you dont have to scondary, it is just something I do.
Let the beer sit in the fermentor for 3 week, no need to mess with anything, the Krausen will fall back to the bottom. 21-22 on the bucket...might want to set up a larger tub of water you can put your fermenting bucket in, and keep the water cool with some ice bottles, this will lower your fermenting temp.

If it is just fruity, then it is not ruined, it is just not what you wanted...let it ride, learn from this brew, and your next will be better.

Tim

"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"

Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #17
Bonden3000
Recipes 

http://things-4-you.dk/hjemmebrygnin...tsaet-488.html

the fermenting bucket has a plastic collar inside where the krausen stick and you can take it out after the krausen has stuck to it. then it is out of the fermentation bucket

ok. i think i´m set.

will have a look at the Fruity one tomorrow anyway.

Wheat going down tomorrow as well.

thanks guys!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #18
ChandlerBang
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

i used the yeast from the kit

@union: I´m not ready to experiment just yet. i really need to get this right. Do you have second fermentation.

@MX1: 21 days at each step. sound easy. But it is definitely not what the box is saying
I leave everything in the primary for 4 weeks plus. The 21 day thing is pretty solid advice. Screw the box.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
beertroll
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
http://things-4-you.dk/hjemmebrygnin...tsaet-488.html

the fermenting bucket has a plastic collar inside where the krausen stick and you can take it out after the krausen has stuck to it. then it is out of the fermentation bucket
Huh. I've never seen such a thing. That's kind of clever. It doesn't seem necessary, though, as the beer stone ring left behind by the krausen tends to stay put above the level of the beer.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:19 AM   #20
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Quote:
this seems like an unnecessary step. the krausen isn't a bad thing that you need to avoid. and you shouldn't open up your fermenter more than you have to - leave the beer alone! introducing a whole lot of air while removing this collar, for the questionable benefit of removing krausen, doesn't make sense to me.

Drinking: citra saison
Fermenting: a hop-bursted APA w/ Conan, a citra farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend.
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.
People Like This 

Quick Reply