The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Messed it up!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Bonden3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Messed it up!!!

Hi HBT

I'm new to all this brewing stuff, and I am really excited about it. I have the Coopers DIY kit and f***** up the Lager big time. (think i bottled it to soon).

Been reading a lot about how crappy the instructions are on these kits. And now it's time to try the coopers wheat. And i really don't want to mess it up.

could someone please give me some good advise.

Best,
Bonden3000

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
LovesIPA
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Good advice about what? Brewing in general?

You'll have to be more specific.

Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people

Old 03-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Where do you thnk you went wrong, what makes you think you messed it up?

Where are you confused on what to do, or how to proceed?

What did you do last time, what do you think you should do this time?

Help us, help you

Tim

"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"

For Sale: Electric Kettle Control

Old 03-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
CTR08
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Next time fight the urge to bottle soon and allow fermentation to go at least 2 weeks.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Bonden3000
Recipes 

Hi.
Thanks for the quick replies.

I think i bottled to soon. (after 7 or 8 days, i had a 1.010 reading). priming my bottles with carbonation drops. then waited 1 week. stuffed it in the cooler for 2 weeks and it tasted VERY fruity. not good at all.

Now reading all these different posts about not "trusting" the instructions. And some saying "follow the instructions, you'll be fine", confuses me. i need to know how long I should let it ferment. 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks.... (i know when the reading i stable) but then i read that when you have a steady reading let it sit for another week before bottling?!? (not in the instruction)

i'm aware of my lack of patience. it won't be a problem this time.

Also, i didn't get the brew enhancer this time. What type of sugar should i use?

Bonden3000

Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
Walking_Target
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If it's fruity, you fermented it too warm (a pronounced, cider-like taste is Acetaldehyde and it's from fermenting too warm). if it's sour you might have not had good sanitation.

Relax, don't worry about it and ferment somewhere cool, and make sure of your sanitation

Fermenting - Pomegranate Mead (3g), Acerglyn

Kegged - Modified Bee Cave IPA, Calypso Pale

Bottled - Brown ale, Pomegranate Mead, Orange Apfelwein

MX1 Likes This 
Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 57

What did the kit say your final gravity shold be?
When deciding to transfer, i usually wait for a few days of the same gravity reading if I am in a hurry, if not in a hurry i just wait 21 days, I call it the balck jack method of brewing; 21 days primary, 21 days secondary, 21 days in the bottle to carb.

As for the fruity taste, what were your ferment temps? and what yeast did you use.

what do you wna the sugar for, just to raise the ABV? If so, I would skip it, I would rather have a lower ABV and better tasting beer. Adding a lot of sugar can dry the beer out too much, and adds an flavor that I am not partial too.

If you need sugar for priming, then just google it, there are a ton of places to get that info.

Tim

"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"

For Sale: Electric Kettle Control

Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1293

The Cooper's ale yeast will give off more fruity esters above 70-71F or so. Less if you keep ferment temps (wort temp,not ambient air temp) down to 65-68F with the Cooper's yeast. If you want it cleaner flavored with no frutiy esters (common to English & australian ales),then use Fermentis US-05. I've had it ferment clean up to 72-74F spikes. But it can ferment well in lower temps,like 60F.
Anyway,let your beer ferment in primary for 2 weeks,then do a hydrometer test to see how close it is to done. And/or how clear it is if it is done already.
Cooper's beers can get really clear in between two & three weeks. Then prime & bottle when your sure it's at FG & cleared up as stated.
The cans used with the box of brew enhancer are ok. But I started adding plain DME & hops to make different beers with tyhe Cooper's cans as a base. Read through my recipes to get some ideas on how I do it.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
Schol-R-LEA
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My first suggestion is to find a good book (How to Brew being my current best recommendation) and read up on the process as the first step. Knowledge really is power, with this hobby.

Second is to review everything you did last time, and consider how you'd change it. If you took notes - which you ought to, even with a kit - go over them in detail. Go over the directions given again - given what you've read, did the directions make sense? For example, what temperature did it recommend fermenting at (lagers generally have to ferment much cooler than ales do)? How long did it say to let it ferment, and how did it recommend you check when it was ready? How long did it say to let the bottles condition?

Finally, think about the kind of kit you are using and consider whether you want to still go with those. Was it a no-boil kit? Consider a kit that expects at least a partial boil. Was a it a pre-hopped kit (it was, I know, but I'm being rhetorical)? Consider one where the hops are provide separately, to be added during the boil (no-boil kits are invariably pre-hopped, as you need to boil the hops to get the alpha acids for bitterness). Frankly, IMAO, the Cooper's kits are perhaps a bit too simplified, and not in a good way; they omit a lot of things which are really crucial to good brewing technique. You might consider a Brewer's Best or Northern Brewer kit, if you can get them, as they are a bit more involved but are still quite easy, or even consider going through the Recipes section here and find one you can try putting together yourself.

Boy Toy: You must think I'm a terrible human being...
Punchline: Don't be ridiculous. Nobody thinks you're a human being.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
Bonden3000
Recipes 

Second fermentation? i only have one bucket.

I think I´ve read somewhere that you could replace the enhancer with plain sugar?

i used the yeast from the kit

My temp. was 21C (from denmark, sorry)

@union: I´m not ready to experiment just yet. i really need to get this right. Do you have second fermentation.

@MX1: 21 days at each step. sound easy. But it is definitely not what the box is saying

Quick Reply