Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > A message to the "Newbies"...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
Taco29wps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default A message to the "Newbies"...

OK, I use the term "Newbie" loosely. I have been brewing for about a year and a half so I am in no way an expert, nor do I consider myself a newbie. I do have about 25 batches under my belt and I feel I can safely offer this...I see many new brewers do exactly like I did when I first started-ask lots of questions...should I? Did I mess up? Is it going to be OK???...Yes, yes and yes...lol Here is what I have to offer. I have made some kind of mistake (or 3) on EVERY single batch of beer I have made. You should know that, beer brewing as a hobby is incredibly forgiving. Have all my beers been great? Hell no, but they were mine and I am proud of every one of them. The point is, and I will borrow a line from Charlie Papazian-"relax, have a home brew!" He's right. For example, I just finished brewing up Williams Holiday Ale, literally, an hour ago. As I type, it sits in the primary in my refrigerator to bring the temp down so I can pitch the yeast (dangit!!!). I did everything right!!! Wrong. I haven't done an extract batch in a while and figured I didn't need my wort chiller. Yeah, dumb a@@, you don't need it. So, there it sits waiting to dump in the beautiful yeast starter I made. Is it screwed up? Nope. It will be amazing; like I said, beer is forgiving.

So I finish with this--try not to, but if you do, it's OK to make mistakes. What kind of mistakes have you made and still the beer turned out a crowd pleaser? I think it's good to talk about so the new guys can learn from our mistakes!

Taco

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...t-great-96780/
Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 09-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman0001 View Post
+1
Still one of my fav threads.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 09-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Well thats simple. I have made em all, at one time or another. Unsanitized utensils, dropped stuff in wort, boiled over, had blow offs, made bottle bombs, pretty much if it's stupid I have done it one time or another. Relax, brewing is very forgiving and is a great way to spend a day if you just relax and enjoy the moment.
Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Quick Reply