New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mead tastes... well... horrible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
c0sm0nautt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mead tastes... well... horrible

I had my mead in the primary and secondary for approximately 4 months. I recently transferred it over to bottles about 2 weeks ago. I know it's supposed to bottle condition for about 2 months, but I jumped the gun and cracked one open to try it out.

Very little carbonation came out of the bottle. The flavor was extremely strong. I almost felt like I was drinking moonshine or very very hard cider. I could taste the alcohol and the aftertaste left me cringing.

Will the bottle conditioning have a profound effect on the flavor? I'm a fan of high alcohol beverages, but this is something else. What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 04:58 AM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5737 Times on 5103 Posts
Likes Given: 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0sm0nautt View Post
I had my mead in the primary and secondary for approximately 4 months. I recently transferred it over to bottles about 2 weeks ago. I know it's supposed to bottle condition for about 2 months, but I jumped the gun and cracked one open to try it out.

Very little carbonation came out of the bottle. The flavor was extremely strong. I almost felt like I was drinking moonshine or very very hard cider. I could taste the alcohol and the aftertaste left me cringing.

Will the bottle conditioning have a profound effect on the flavor? I'm a fan of high alcohol beverages, but this is something else. What do you think?
hehe. You answered your own question....

Mead is best at 1+ year; and gets better after that...

Hide the rest in a closet and report back in about 10 months....

Old 04-30-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 15

i don't like mead, and i've tasted 11 year old stuff made by a legend in mead-making. it's a taste thing. some love it, some don't

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 04-30-2011, 05:02 AM   #4
joel4482
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My first mead tasted like mad dog 20/20 after a few months. It is just about to turn 1 year old and is tasting much better now. I would bottle it and hide it for a while and it will taste better. I met a guy that has made a lot of mead and was an RVer tell me that he would bury some mead at each of his RV spots and come back a year later and dig them up and enjoy.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:08 AM   #5
Rahahb
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Depends on the mead. Some are drinkable in just a couple months. Others take years to mellow.

Did you take a gravity reading before you bottled. If it's dry and you bottled, you may never get carbonation. Also, you could be looking at bottle bombs if the yeast are still working and there is enough sugar left.

*Also, there is a mead subforum.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
c0sm0nautt
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies. I'll wait at least a couple more months before I taste one again. It's a sparking melanomal.

Quick Reply