New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > may have screwed up 1st batch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
singleshotbuff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default may have screwed up 1st batch

Gentlemen,

I tried brewing my first batch of (extract) beer yesterday, and I think I screwed up since my airlock is not bubbling yet.

What I think I did was add the yeast while the wort/water was too cold, instead of letting the mix warm to room tmperature as per the instructions.

My questions are;

1. Will this kill the yeast and cause it not to ferment?

2. Can I "re-yeast"? and if so, how long do I have to do this? (I made the mix yesterday)

3. Is there a specific kind of yeast I have to use? Obviously homebrew shop yeast would be preferable, but I can't get there until tomorrow evening. If time is important, would regular yeast work?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm a noob and need help to save this first batch.

Thanks

SSB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2005, 10:22 PM   #2
AHammer16

Recipes 

Never worry about asking questions. That is why someone started this community.

If you pitched it too cold you probably will have a delay in fermentation. No big deal. As a wise man said "relax and have a homebrew!" It should start up soon. Other problems may be a bad seal on you primary fermenter that is letting the gas escape before it can push its way out of the airlock.

We are curious people so tell us your recipie that you are using including yeast strains / brand when you ask about you problems. They interest us and sometimes help with helping you.

Also look on amazon or some other used book site and get this book From the quoted individual abvove:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060531053/qid=1132009264/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-5244172-0751966?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Hope all turns out well

one chants out between two worlds
Fire - walk with me."

Old 11-14-2005, 10:35 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Your batch is probably ok. The yeast will take some time to recover from the temperature shock, but they are tough and given another day or two should be bubbling away.

Even under perfect conditions, a batch will not start bubbling until all of the oxygen has been consumed. The yeast are growing and multiplying during this phase, which can run 12-72 hours. Keep the wort at 70-75F and you should see some action in another 48 hours.

I always keep a couple packets of Nottingham dry yeast around, but I never repitch until day four.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-15-2005, 01:58 AM   #4
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleshotbuff
1. Will this kill the yeast and cause it not to ferment?

2. Can I "re-yeast"? and if so, how long do I have to do this? (I made the mix yesterday)

3. Is there a specific kind of yeast I have to use? Obviously homebrew shop yeast would be preferable, but I can't get there until tomorrow evening. If time is important, would regular yeast work?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm a noob and need help to save this first batch.

Thanks

SSB
no dumb questions here!
1. cooler temps will not kill the yeast, they will just take longer to start working due to temp shock. they'll wake up and get to workingas the wort temp gets to room temp. what type of yeast did u use?
2. yes, you cna re-pitch with some yeast if you don't see activity in 32-36 hours. a good neutral dry yeast or pitch more of the liquide yeast (White Labs of Wyeast brand).
3. each brew may have a prefered yeast strain, but as a homebrewer, you can use any yeast you like. different strains will yield different flavors. Hefeweizen yeast will lend a banana/clove flavor, as apposed to a California Ale yeast that will be real neutral and let the malt flavors carry through the beer.
good luck and try to be patient!
try www.howtobrew.com, www.cruisenews.net/brewing/, www.byo.com, www.beertown.org.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Last edited by DeRoux's Broux; 11-15-2005 at 04:54 PM.

Old 11-15-2005, 04:12 PM   #5
singleshotbuff
Recipes 

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the help. Today I have bubbles!! I'm excited.

Patience not being one of my virtues, I repitched last night. Not sure if that made the difference or if it just needed more time. Either way it's bubbling.

Guess I'm going to have to learn to "relax and have a homebrew" with future batches. This will of course be easier when I have a homebrew on hand LOL.

Thanks again

SSB

Old 11-15-2005, 04:56 PM   #6
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleshotbuff
Guess I'm going to have to learn to "relax and have a homebrew" with future batches. This will of course be easier when I have a homebrew on hand LOL.
SSB
it always helps!

good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 11-15-2005, 05:34 PM   #7
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just hang in there and with any luck it will be a nice brew. Welcome to the obsession

Quick Reply