The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Max pot size for stove top brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 09:02 PM   #21
northernlad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiseman63 View Post
I just picked up an 8g aluminum stock pot yesterday for doing full stovetop boils. I did a test boil with 5g of tap water, and it boiled after about 75 min with the lid on. It continued to boil with the lid partially on but would stop boiling with the lid completely off.
Gas, coil or glass top?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2009, 09:09 PM   #22
rwiseman63
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
Gas, coil or glass top?
Glass top.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:19 PM   #23
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Same as my POS glass top.Led to me buying a turkey friar.Much happier now.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:22 PM   #24
artguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCOLA View Post
Same as my POS glass top.Led to me buying a turkey friar.Much happier now.
+1 Depends on the stove, depends on the pot. If the pot is wider than your glass-top burner area, it's not going to heat efficiently no matter how much insulation you wrap it with.

I tried my first batch with a 21-quart enamel canning pot on my glass-top stove, and I couldn't even bring about 3 gallons to a real boil. The pot was wider than the burner area (but not wide enough to go over 2 burners), and it also had a raised center (not helpful!), so the whole brewing session went fairly badly. I bought a Bayou Classic SP-10 propane burner, and started brewing outside, which is great as far as I'm concerned. But if you really want (or need) to be able to brew indoors, then get a pot that fits your burner well and work within its size limitations. Obviously, just in my opinion/experience...

Old 10-31-2009, 10:41 PM   #25
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by artguy View Post
+1 Depends on the stove, depends on the pot.
+1. Absolutely critical your pot be flat. The one I have has an aluminum pellet bottom and is as flat as my exwife. Ranges differ as well. The old ones do not work as well as the new ones.
Get as big a pot as you can but try and keep the diameter the same or barely over the burner.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:12 AM   #26
jmendez29
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I have an aluminum 28 qt pot from a turkey fryer that I use on my smoothtop range. I do full boils in it, but I have noted that it will take a long time to get to a boil, except when I put the lid on it. Bad part about that is that I need to be real close all the time for when it boils up, but the good side of that is that I don't lose very much to evaporation.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:22 AM   #27
Drbobcat
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I do my brewing indoors on my gas range (all grain, 5 gallon batches). I have a 5 gallon and an 8 gallon aluminum pot. I do modified BIAB (DeathBrewer's Method). You should read the thread on "Improved StoveTop Boiling". That should give you several ideas on how to make your life easier.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:37 AM   #28
cell
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm using a 35 liters aluminium pot on a coil cooking element stove. I don't know how powerful my stove is, but I observed that it takes 10 minutes to raise of 8°C, 26 liters of water.

I also tried to use two cooking element (half/half). But it didn't work in my case.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #29
kgutwin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiseman63 View Post
I just picked up an 8g aluminum stock pot yesterday for doing full stovetop boils. I did a test boil with 5g of tap water, and it boiled after about 75 min with the lid on. It continued to boil with the lid partially on but would stop boiling with the lid completely off.
I have a similar size pot that did the same thing when I tested it with tap water -- wouldn't boil unless the lid was part-way on. I did my first brew with it yesterday, though, and I noticed that I could keep the wort boiling even without the lid... I assume that the foam covering most of the wort surface helped insulate enough to the point where I didn't need the lid. My guess is that in general, boil performance will be somewhat better with wort than with tap water.

Quick Reply