*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Max pot size for stove top brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
pretzelb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Max pot size for stove top brewing

The other title I was going to use was "Did I just screw up by getting an 8g pot".

I'm interested in the methods that Deathbrewer posted for partial and all grain brewing on the stove so I wanted to get another pot to go with my 5g one. I think I screwed up though because I got an 8g pot (thinking it would be good for the future) without checking the dimensions. I really can't see this thing working on my stove. So before I look to try and send it back I wanted to see what others were using on their stove.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used to use a 24qt stainless on the stove when I started out many moons ago. I used a gas stove, not a very powerful one, and only did partial-boil extract brews.

Recently started brewing again, and I picked up a 40qt aluminum pot. Trying to prep it by boiling 8 gallons of water for 30 minutes, I had it on my gas stove (which has a "power burner" in the front quadrant), but it A) was huge, just barely fitting under the overhead microwave, and B) took almost two hours to boil! So, I resorted to using a turkey burner out in the garage to do full boil brewing.

I'd say a 6gal pot is about the largest I'd try to use on the stovetop, and never for full boils. YMMV...

Secondary 1 and 2: air
Bottles: air/dust

Old 10-31-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My first thought when I saw the title was: Whatever you range will bring to a boil

Old 10-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
griffondg
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use a 10 gallon pot on my stove and can JUST get 7 gallons to a rolling boil. The key for me was the size: I had 2 options, get a tall narrower pot or a short squater pot and I chose the shorter one since it fits under my overhead microwave AND it allows me to also use my back burner. I know I'm in the minority but I'd rather brew in my kitchen than outside.

When I drain the first runnings I immediately get that going on full power with a lid partially on to get it up to a boil. By the time that is almost to a boil my sprage water is ready to be run-off and I start adding that. Takes about another 15-20 min to get that going with the lid partially on. Once it's rolling I remove the lid and start the timer.

Eric

Old 10-31-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
LandofOZ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

insulate insulate insulate Ijust started using a vary cheap light weight aluminium turkey fryer pot from a guarage sale. insulated the outside with a silver foil faced car front window shade cut to size we had laying around the house. I have no problems boiling 6 gallons on my stove

Land Of OZ, Toto wake up where not at the bar anymore!!!!

Old 10-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 114 Posts

If I use two burners I can boil 7 gallons in about an hour.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have an older Tappan range (gas stove) which has one high output burner. I never did research the specs on this model (note to self to do search) but the burner brings 7 gallons to a rolling boil in respectable time. I could probably do it quicker using a propane burner, but I have a decent setup in the basement, so I use my stove top.

I use a 10 gallon brew pot without any trouble at all.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 10-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
pretzelb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffondg View Post
I use a 10 gallon pot on my stove and can JUST get 7 gallons to a rolling boil. The key for me was the size: I had 2 options, get a tall narrower pot or a short squater pot and I chose the shorter one since it fits under my overhead microwave AND it allows me to also use my back burner. I know I'm in the minority but I'd rather brew in my kitchen than outside.
I'd also prefer to stay inside for now. I've just started and I'm just getting the routine down so I'd hate to switch things up so soon into the hobby. The 8g pot I have does fit under my microwave but the diameter is just huge compared to the burner.

The problem is I need to decide before trying it so I can return it. I probably should have just went with another 5g pot. Now I either have to try to use the 10g one inside, or go look to throw money at this and get the turkey fryer to go with the 10g pot, or exchange it for another 5g pot.

Brewing the first partial mash this Sunday isn't looking good.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 114 Posts

Pretz, just go with what you have and see what happens.

If you wait for all the lights to turn green you'll never get to town.

EDIT: If your 8 gallon pot has a large diameter it allows you use two burners at once.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I've seen a few wrapped in the silver insulation foil "Land of Oz" was talking about.Always an option.

Quick Reply