Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mashing in the oven instead of a tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Tax779
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mashing in the oven instead of a tun

Much of what I have read about all grain mashing is that it is done using a converted cooler as a mash tun. Would just placing the mash in an oven at 150 degrees be as good or a better solution? Seems like you could hold a steady temp more effectively this way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

That's the old school way.

From the googles. (hint hint)
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter16-1.html
http://byo.com/mrwizard/777.html
http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages...age=first-mash
http://www.humpsbrewing.bluegosling....8/all-grain-1/
(with the cool picture)

And from our own search

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/archive/...p/t-59598.html

I believe it's also mentioned in Papazian

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 28

My oven thermostadt only goes down to 170F, otherwise it's reasonable. The truth is, a cooler mash/lauter tun has even more utility because it hold temp really well and you're not using any energy over that length of time. I suppose you could install a separation medium in a oven based mash tun but I would think most people transfer to a standalone lauter tun for sparging. Too much work for me.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The range and accuracy of the ovens thermostat is an issue, but the real reason I never tried it is because Ive never had an oven big enough to fit a 48qt stock pot.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
AK_Phil
Recipes 

It seems it would be easier to use an oven mash for a 5 gallon batch. As long as you test the accuracy of the oven's thermostat.

Can't imagine it cranks your energy bill up that much unless it's your day job. Which as that point why would you use the oven?

Old 03-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Holy thread bumping, batman.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I remember reading an article on this and checking my oven and it doesn't go below 300f....

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 03-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also most ovens fluctuate greatly. If your oven is set to 148 it's probably not going to stay there consistently. It's going to like drop into the 130s then over heat to the 150s.

Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog

Old 04-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
sha0056
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

just did a partial mash using this technique for the first time - 3.5 pounds of grain in 1 1/2 gallons water heated to 165 (154 deg after adding / mixing grain). heated oven to 170 and when I put the kettle in (actually 2 - 5 gallon SS pots) turned off the heat. 60 minutes later the temp was 153.5. used paint strainer bag and sparged each with 1 1/2 gal water at 170 deg

Old 01-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
hahnderosa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Works great w/o heat

I just tried this with a full mash (feel the burn in those biceps, baby). I got the mash (11# grain) up to 155 on the stovetop and pre-heated the oven to 170f (lowest possible). Turned off the oven and put the mash tun w/ lid into the oven. Used the dial thermo on the front of it to track the temp. It was 155F for the first 30 minutes, then dropped to 154F after 45 minutes. After 60 min, it was down to 152F. I guess I could have bumped the oven back on at 30 min to keep things more constant.

Funny thing, I just started using the old pipe-bomb style RIMS which does a great job holding the exact temperature in the heating chamber, but isn't easily controlled in the tun where you want it to be precise. I've tried constantly stirring the mash with the old ice-cream machine turned brew tool as well as adding supplemental heat underneath the tun. Nothing seemed to hold the temp as steady as simply wrapping the tun with an old sleeping bag, but I'm not a big fan of putting anything flammable on the stovetop even when I'm 100% sure everything is turned off.

Anyway, this oven mashing will be my go to method until I graduate above 5 gllon batches. I don't see that happening anytime soon since I can't seem to drink what I already have brewed fast enough (got a Bock, Stout, Blonde and IPA in the fridge and a tripel IPA waiting in the "cellar"). PROST!

Quick Reply